Why are people so racist about Barack Obama?

A lot of people who don't approve of the way Obama rules can get very racist. They claim he's not American and make racial slurs about his skin colour. How does skin colour affect your ability to rule, anyway? Surely you should attack his tactics/ideas and not his racial origin? Why is his being black a... show more A lot of people who don't approve of the way Obama rules can get very racist. They claim he's not American and make racial slurs about his skin colour.

How does skin colour affect your ability to rule, anyway? Surely you should attack his tactics/ideas and not his racial origin? Why is his being black a problem if he was born and bred in America?

After all, the only "true" Americans are the Indians/native Americans anyway. Or, as somebody born and bred in Plymouth, UK, can I start claiming a supreme right to be an American as I am from the city the Mayflower left from?

I really don't understand the logic behind it. Can somebody please explain it?
Update: Ok, just take a look at a site called "fundies say the darndest things" where there are numerous insults and slurs on his race and how being "foreign" allegedly affects his ability and right to rule. I didn't mean to post a "leading" question. It's something I'm genuinely... show more Ok, just take a look at a site called "fundies say the darndest things" where there are numerous insults and slurs on his race and how being "foreign" allegedly affects his ability and right to rule. I didn't mean to post a "leading" question. It's something I'm genuinely perplexed about.

http://www.fstdt.net/
Update 2: And no, I'm not playing the "race card." But people genuinely feel the need to point out that he is kenyan/african/muslim and I don't see why it's such a big deal.
Update 3: Ok, I'm not even American, I'm British (thought the name would be a giveaway). I've never even said I agree with what Obama is doing. I'm pointing out there are people out there who DIRECTLY attack Obama based on his race and background and I am trying to work out how they justify doing so. I am not... show more Ok, I'm not even American, I'm British (thought the name would be a giveaway). I've never even said I agree with what Obama is doing. I'm pointing out there are people out there who DIRECTLY attack Obama based on his race and background and I am trying to work out how they justify doing so. I am not accusing republicans of being racist, I am merely questioning the motives of those who are racist so calm down!
Update 4: I also never called Republicans racist. I called racists racist.
Update 5: Thank you sickness22 for a level-headed and concise answer. You've cleared up what I wanted to know as well as expressing your opinion without attacking me. I appreciate that.
Update 6: 99% of people who criticize Obama might be Republican but I wasn't saying being Republican makes you racist by default. By assuming that I am a "liberal" you immediately have a preconceived notion of who I am which is exactly what you've accused me of doing. Stop being such a hypocrite.