Quick idea of reverse mortgage?

I know I need to talk to a bank about this, but trying to get a quick idea about how a reverse mortgage would work for my mother-in-law who wants to sell her 2-story house and buy something manageable. Trying to figure out some way she can afford this.

1) Can you a reverse mortgage on a house where you dont own the land? She wants a pre-fab in a retirement community where you rent the land.

2) About how much could she get monthly for a reverse mortgage on a $100k house. I'm sure it depends on many things. She is 83 and is in good health. Any estimate what so ever? Range?

Thanks for any help!

Favorite Answer

To get a reverse mortgage, there has to be no debt on the house.

So, no primary mortgage at least. I've heard of a few rare cases where a person had a small secondary mortgage on their residence.

I don't believe you have to own the land, but I could be mistaken.

If the mortgage is free and clear, she could probably get $300-$500/month, that's presuming that the costs of the reverse mortgage are only $10,000.

Good luck!