? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 10 years ago

Can an illegal immigrant go through naturalization process?

Hi, my brothers and i were brought to the U.S. as little kids, me and my twin were only 6 at the time. we are both 18 now and still maintain the in our same status. "illegal". we hate being called illegal or immigrant because we are americanized and barely speak our own language let alone read or write in it. we are getting older and i never knew how hard life was going to be knowing that we have to live in fear of being deported. i personaly know nothing about my country which is Brazil, all i know is that i have cousins whom i dont remember or seen before and they have nice beaches. I am trying to figure out if there is anyway possible for us to gain atleast a social security or go through naturalization process? We really need help, please is there any way? thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In order to go through the naturalization process you will first have to get a green card. To get a SS card you have to get either a green card or a certain non-immigrant visas. Whether or not you can get a green card or another type of visa is the issue.

Unfortunately there are a lot of illegal aliens like and many have no way to become legal in the US. How you entered the country makes a big difference as to whether or not you have any chance to become legal or not. If you entered the country "without inspection" (sneaked across the border illegally) there is currently no way for you to become legal. If you left the country and went back to Brazil you could apply for a visa from there. However, because you have been here illegally it may be denied. Also, if you leave the country you are subject to being banned from re-entry for 3 or 10 years. Being here illegally after having entered the country illegally is a very difficult situation to be in and sadly these people have little choice but to remain legal or leave the country.

If you entered the country legally with a visa but overstayed after the visa expired the situation is slightly brighter. For the most part anyone that has overstayed a visa is automatically inadmissible. Inadmissible is when you are not eligible for getting any kind of visa (a green card is a type of visa). There is one exception though and that is for people who are so called "immediate relatives of a US citizen". People who fit into this category can get a green card even though they overstayed their visa or have worked in the US without permission.

There are three types of people who are considered immediate relatives of a US citizen. Those are spouses of a citizen, unmarried children under age 21 of a citizen, and parents of a citizen if the citizen is over age 21. Since I assume that your parents are not citizens and won't be in the near future your only two options are to have a baby here and wait until that child is 21 or marry a US citizen.

Many people go the marriage route. However, it is a bad idea to marry someone just to get a green card. Unless the marriage is a real marriage and the two people live together as husband and wife it is considered immigration fraud which is a crime. Immigration go to a great length to ensure that all couples that get green cards based on marriage are truly married and not committing immigration fraud. If you are committing fraud they are very likely to find out and you will be in even more trouble. It is not a good idea. But if you meet a guy who is a US citizen that you want to marry you can then apply for a green card as you would be eligible. Like I said, though, this only goes for people who came into the country legally, ie, with inspection.

If you came into the country illegally the only thing you can really hope for is some kind of amnesty from the government. Many people that are in this situation get by by using fake documents but it's important to know that doing so is a crime.

One thing that you may want to know is that although people who have lived here illegally are subject to a ten year ban from coming back you can get around that if you leave voluntarily before you are 18 years and 180 days old.

Because of your difficult situation I highly recommend that you and your siblings go see an immigration attorney to get advice about your particular situation. The internet is a great source for info but not everything is accurate.

It does cost a few hundred dollars to consult with an immigration lawyer but it's worth it. It's the best thing you can do right now.

If you ever decide to send in an application to the USCIS please make sure you speak to an immigration attorney first so that you don't get yourself into unforeseen trouble.

Good luck!

• Login to reply the answers
  • nold
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Illegal Immigration Citizenship Process

• Jan
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

No way for you to get a SS# or become naturalized. You are here illegally. The only way to gain legal status is to return to your home country and apply to come back legally. If you leave before you turn 18 1/2,you will not be penalized for being here illegally because you were a minor. If you do not return by that age,you are making the choice as an adult to ignore our immigration laws. You will then be subject to deportation and ban on returning.

Your parents did you no favors by making you a criminal.

• 10 years ago

There are a lot of people in your shoes. There may be a way of declaring yourselves as political refugees or something like that.

You should contact the lawyer re feral system in your area (usually a branch of the BAR association) and consult a good immigration lawyer.

Senator John McCain and Russ Feingold sponsored a non-partisan bill to resolve this issue under George Bush administration. It was called the McCain-Feingold Immigration Reform Act.

Unfortunately, the Democrats filibustered the Bill and it died in the senate without ever being allowed up for a vote. You can thank Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean for that little gift. Had this republican originated bill been passed under George Bush, you would already be a citizen.

You and your family members are currently suffering because of a Democrat sponsored power scandal.

Tell those who vote to remember what the democrats did to you when they go to vote in november.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Vivac
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The only way is to leave NOW before 18 1/2 as you won't incur any immigration penalties.You should be able to come back legally IF the US embassy believes you should be approved any new visa application.Yet again,there is no penalty for those under the age of 18 1/2/ from applying outside the US.

• 10 years ago

Unfortunately, no. To be eligible to apply Naturalization, you must obtain Permanent Resident Status (green card) legally and maintain the status for 5 years. To obtain Social Security Number, you must prove your legal status in US.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I cannot understand why this question is so difficult ..its very simple

An illegal cannot adjust status in the US

Marriage and babies will not help either ..that is a myth

if you are under 18.5 get out quickly .. you may have a chance to return legally

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Of course not but you can leave before 18.5 years old you are then forgiven and you can apply yo come back legally.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

As long as he isn't caught being illegal as far as the country is concerned he doesn't even exist for that country. Can a person that comes "for the first time" there become legal? Sure!

• don
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Check this site for your Naturalization Process http://www.immigrationdirect.com/us-citizenship/te... it'll help you a lot :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.