Johnny asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

Can I skip belts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

I'm 15, I have MMA and wrestling experience. I quit mma and wrestling because I realized I just simply have a passion for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I'm really good at it and I've one all of my mma fights strictly from submissions. If I join a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school and I prove to them I deserve more than a white belt will they bump me up belts faster? or is it not aloud?

Favorite Answer

This has to be the stupidest question I have ever seen on MA forum.

This would be extremely unlikely. We're talking about formal ranks here, and with formal ranks come formal requirements. Besides, ranks and belts aren't only about skill, but also denote your progress and dedication in a particular art. And actually asking about the possibility of skipping ranks would be extremely disrespectful; you also risk having your future instructors see you as an overconfident or even arrogant newbie.

If you really have a passion for BJJ, then why don't you show some due respect to the art, and take the whole package? Start at the bottom, and work yourself up, just like everybody else. You'll actually learn a lot more this way.

No, you will still have to start as whitebelt, even if you are already a blue belt in another school, the instructor will assess you and basically ask you to start as white belt. BJJ is one art that has one of the strictest belt level ranking. To be a blue belt, you must be very proficient, unlike other arts than you can just be promoted so easily. I know a shotokan brown belt who got promoted to black belt without any testing because he's so close and a buddy of the shihan.

• .

I doubt you've had too much in the way of genuine MMA at the age of 15. Regardless, you will start at the bottom like everyone else. If you are really good you might not stay there long, however if you've never rolled with trained BJJ practitioners I suspect you are not qualified to judge your own ability and might find you aren't as good as you think. Also, if you've never rolled in a gi before, you will find the learning curve rather steep.

• Ned

You will start as a white belt. Because of your age you will not receive your blue belt, once you prove you are a blue belt, until you are 16 yrs old.

Chuck Norris is wrong about starting as a white belt if you were a blue belt else where. That doesn't happen anymore, except maybe brazil but that to is changing.

you will never ever skip belts.......people will be allowed to come in with their belt blue, purple, brown what have you if they are coming from another repudable school but whoever is in charge may very well wanna see them train.

• lolol

some instructors skip u, especially if you show a great aappreciation for the art.

but honestly...why would u want to? ...wen u take short cuts u only cut urself short in martial arts...

Its up to your coach

no