If there were no religion, what would change in society/belief structures?

• Alexis
    Favorite Answer

There would be no more religious hindrance upon society. It would impact our civilization in a myriad of significant ways.

Religion is one of the most divisive forces ever created. War would decline. More importance, and funding, would be granted to scientific/technological advancement and education. Current impediments to equal civil liberties, women's reproductive rights, personal freedom for consenting adults to engage in consensual activities, censorship, scientific progress such as stem cell research, and numerous other social issues would be lessened or eliminated.

Without indoctrination into belief in the supernatural, the focus placed upon children's science education and the understanding of the importance of evidence in determining what is objectively true would have a ripple effect that would allow humanity's technological evolution to advance unhindered and at a noticeably greater rate. Fusion reactors, an automated society, and replicator technology would all be developed sooner. Plus, the odds of humanity being wiped out by an insane religious fundamentalist with a lethal biological weapon would be drastically reduced. We would be able to turn the Earth into a paradise that Eden pales in comparison to.

I'm not saying there wouldn't still be problems, but a world without religion would be a vastly more pleasant place to live than where we're currently at.

Imagine.

hahaha what a good question if there were no religion peoples would invent it hahahaha so there is no way lol .... as we already see except for the three abrahamic faithes pepoles made there own religio all over the world through all these thousands of years .... i think that humans have a certain centre in the brain about needing to worship something .... even pharaos used to worship things thousands of years back ... pplz worshipped other men , mouls , birds , idols some times made of candy and they used to eat it when they get hungry , so my answer is that peoples would invent religion...

in case if u mean some how pplz didnt and obviously they would ...for me my self ?? i would take other pplz money , accept bribes , try to rape i am not vilolant just for the sake of trieng !! do what ever i want , live with no discipline for any thing just my self .... so if there are lots of pplz like me hahah i think that the world will be a bad place to live at !!!!

Hmmmmm too many variables. You take that out, it wouldn't matter. There will still be evil in the world.(Greed, Selfishness, Corruption, Superficiality, etc) Though as humans we have the ability and capacity to love unconditionally, understand a sense of morality and values, etc without having to believe in a God. It's not so much that if you put religion in that people would have such things in mind but through extensive knowledge and emotional response we can understand that if we throw away all our self fulfilling attitudes(at least most) we can live in state of peace where we enjoy this "Life/Existence". Sort of like a "Socialist Utopia" but I use that term loosely(excuse me if used this term wrong) because many folks tend to associate Socialism with Stalin, Soviet Union, Etc If anything we should have the will to care for each other for the sake of doing it. Not for some reward, fear, ignorance, etc If we can change our society for it to work for the benefit of mankind rather us working for it, we can find a way to get resources to everyone. Giving everyone a fair life should be able to get rid of many social problems. A good example is "The Venus Project".

Some people believe that given an incentive(Money, Faith, Etc) creates creativity and perseverance in science, education, and finding answers to problems. Yes it is true to an extent but, as seen many times before many people have made discoveries and strives in many fields without such incentives but based on will, curiosity, personal enjoyment, benefit of mankind, etc(mostly our natural feeling to understand and make sense of things).We have the right to live and learn. So why not have free access to food, education, Health Care transportation, housing, etc(What ever someone creates that benefits everybody as whole, In which stated in "The Venus Project" that if you create something(Example MP3 player) no one would need to pay. If you want, you can simply order it and will receive. No money required cause you are already receiving your necessities for free) and live in a world where we can do what we want whether its in the field of art(Paintings, Sculptures, Music, Film, Photography, etc) Technology, Travel, Relaxation, etc Now there comes the question "How do we make these supplies without labor, thus would it be fair that someone works and doesn't get the benefited for their work?" Yes thats a serious question but "The Venus Project" states that everyone will work little to sustain the futuristic society. Since it believes we have the knowledge to create technology that can do all the work for us like cropping and make other products. Thus there will be a group who will sustain these machines. The belief is that with all these sources we as people will have the will to work selflessly for the benefit of everyone just for the sake of it. Thats one way society could develop.

Another way would be the wide spread feeling of selfishness and greed that will tare societies and people apart and cause the destruction either of mankind and/or the earth.( Assuming nothing else kills us)But this is how things are Today.

Source(s): "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Sri Chinmoy Ghose
  • Moops

If there was never religion, the world wouldn't be here. If there was religion and somehow everyone who believed in a higher power was wiped off the earth....then I suppose all the people who were left would argue about something else. Global warming? Legalization of Marijuana? (I don't know what these kind of people talk about other than how much they hate religion...do they talk about anything else aside from that?)

• Tanner

Some societies based completely off religion would dramatically change. Other governments that are based on other principles wouldn't experience as much change, but it would change politics a lot.

• ?

Not much really. People use religion as an excuse for hate, take it away and the hate will still be there. Same with the love, people are good or bad because they are, not because of some religion.

People would value their families more. They would not be forcing them to dress up on Sundays and dragging them before an alter of a dead man hanging on a stick. Instead, they would be going to the beach, having picnics and spending time together. People would have more time to be human.

• kopsho

Apathetic -> Christian -> Theist -> Deist -> Agnostic -> Atheist there is MY timeline.. =) switched over to Christianity at 14, began deconverting at sixteen, and now i'm 19 and an atheist. It became a very slow technique, so i don't understand for a fashion long precisely i've got been one.. extremely it sluggish, i could assume. nevertheless i did not completely comprehend it until rather recently. besides, quite a few the main efficient the explanation why I switched over to Christianity have been those: dealing with not uncomplicated cases in my existence. melancholy. the will for something to hold directly to. the will for a community. people at church being super to me. Me getting myself shown. Me beginning off to entice close out at church. Already having been incredibly indoctrinated by employing my Christian mom. the convenience of the completed imaginary chum ingredient... quite a few the main efficient the explanation why I deconverted to atheism: A continous technique of inner thinking. transforming into up. Doing study. transforming into greater knowledgeable. Going much less many times to church because of the fact I felt condemned. easily analyzing greater of the Bible, and not in basic terms the solid aspects. chatting with those with opposing perspectives. Being greater honest with myself. Asking approximately issues that my church could not answer. getting to know greater arguments for atheism, analyzing books and such, and looking out out that I agreed with them one hundred %... My dad did not care interior the slightest, seen as he would not have faith in Christianity besides. He became basically happy I had figured issues out and made a decision. My mom, on the different hand, became no greater effective than satisfied approximately it for specific!! whilst i had to resign from church, she thoroughly freaked out.. She additionally persistently accused me of being a Satanist. and he or she claimed that I "now not had any values in existence", because of the fact I now not believed in any deity. She's greater happy with it now, besides the undeniable fact that. nevertheless she nonetheless isn't all that delighted with regard to the assumption.. Oh properly.. that's not HER existence to stay.

There would be a lot less fighting. Beofer the oil wars most wars were started over religion.

i imagine there would be a lot more idol worships. Everybody constantly finds someone to worship on, whether it's a famous celebrity, a famous painter, an amazing athlete, a rock star...