Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

my daughter has lice? help?

ok i've tried rid, store brand, white vinegar and even took her to a salon. they say she doesn't have lice but the school does. also i've checked her head and have found lice. What do i do? I have sprayed every bed in the house and the couch the carpet.

Update:

i have washed every thing in the house in hot water including my other daughter, myself and husband. i throwed out all her stuffed animals. wash all her babydoll heads.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Avodah
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Oh boy... You cant just shampoo & spray. You have to wash ALL bedding (everyone in the house's), you have to put pillows & blankets through the dryer on High for at least 30 mins. You have to put everything that cant or doesnt need to be washed through the dryer (same setting & time). If you dont want to do all that, it has to be bagged in clean garage bags, tightly sealed for 1 month. Even CLEAN clothes (b/c they might have been handled) have to go through the dryer again. After everything comes out, it goes into bags till everyone is treated. Couches & furniture has to be sprayed. Get the carpet sprinkle-powder stuff or some borax & baking soda, leave it on for 1 hr. (There are other natural products, but they are more expensive & less safe). All surfaces need to be wiped down, esp beds & rooms. Use Lysol on everything that you can, esp mattresses while bedding is being washed. Vacuum EVERYWHERE, even under furniture & beds. Vacuum or wash curtains too. Then while you do all this (it usually takes about 2-3 days of hard labor), you need to get everyone shampooed & have them put their hair up & cover with a surgical type net or scarf. Then dont forget you are supposed to treat again in 1-2 weeks.

Yes, people may have to crash on floors or plain mattresses with only a small blanket that will have to be rewashed.

PS. The dr can prescribe stuff, or you can get if free from the local health depo since lice is considered an infectious disease. Also people who say put mayonnaise, oil, or lotions in her hair or to shave her head are full of $h*t - it does NOT work. Although lice/fleas dont like tea-tree oil. The nits (eggs) can take up to 3 wks to hatch, during which time they are nearly impervious to ANYTHING & can be literally ANYWHERE, even in the crack of a couch... when they hatch they start laying eggs everywhere & looking for you.

Source(s): Grew up on military bases with hundreds of kids/families... it goes around often.
  • 1 decade ago

Give her a bath or shower, and when she's done, sit in front of the tv (you'll be there a while and you'll need to keep her still), and smother her hair with conditioner. Use a fine toothed comb, and pull through to remove the lice/nits, immersing the comb in a bowl of hot water after each time. Do this every night until they are all gone.

This is the safest way to do it. It might take a few nights if she has a heavy infestation or long/thick hair.

• 1 decade ago

Take her to a doctor, have it confirmed by a preofessional.

If she still has it, I'm afraid there's nothing for it but to start over again. Wash everything. Again. Lice can be awfully stubborn, Bed sheets, clothes, furniture, carpet, stuffed animals. . . everything has to be cleaned. Again.

Sorry, I know it sucks. Good luck washing.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Cover her hair in conditioner and use a fine-toothed lice comb.

You will probably need to do this at least three times over the course of a week, but it is quite effective, and does away with the need for chemical treatments.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The work has just begun! Wash all sheets, bedding, pillows, cushions, jackets, hats, scarves, sweaters, shirts, dresses, blouses. Check every other head in your house too.

• Ethel
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Did you go through and wash all her clothes with hot water too? Her bed, blankets and pillows as well? Sounds like she is getting re-infected somehow and you missed something, if not in your home perhaps a friend is transferring it to her - perhaps they are coming from you.

• 1 decade ago

Check out this web site.

• blank
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The doctor can prescribe something stronger.I have other ideas.But if she is a toddler she may be to young.

Source(s): blank
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.