Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

why do puerto ricans look so diverse?

i know puerto rico has had it's share of foreigners, but how do you explain the asian looking ones. or the paki, arabic looking ones. puerto ricans look like many races not just black, and white.

Update:

that sucks because you never know who you are.

Update 2:

but platesan.. most puerto ricans think they're a race. they don't really know what their ethnicity is.

Update 3:

but puerto ricans see themselves as one race, unlike americans, who identify themselves as indian, chinese ex......

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Okayyy, looks like you have it clear that puerto ricans are REALLY mixed.

The reason that us Puerto Ricans consider ourselves to be one race is because all of the ones that live in PR have the same culture, wherever you go on the island.

A quality that is very rare to find in other areas.

ANYWAYS we wouldn't have the culture that we are now if it wasn't for all the mixtures.

Mainly being African, Spanish, and Native Taino.

If you compare it to the USA, most people here stick to their own race.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Puerto Ricans are purely like individuals. Are there techniques individuals can look greater American? consistent with probability by ability of gown. Or form. yet why psysique? No. there is not any such element. each and every u . s . on the western hemisphere has ethnic selection. the only countries in this hemisphere that have people who can dignify their seem to that place is the indigenous inhabitants. it truly is why while human beings say somebody looks ''Mexican'' they're concerning the Aztec ancestry. In Puerto Rico, Cuba and all the Caribbean there is no longer lots indigenous ancestry. maximum natives have been killed initially upon the Spaniard's arrival. Or have been mixed into. And nicely outpopulated. So human beings in Puerto Rico are purely like American's. regularly purely white and black human beings. Or a mix of the two. i would not attempt to ask that query to too many human beings because of the fact they're going to in basic terms provide you Eurocentric solutions seeing it truly is the mentality of Puerto Rico, u.s. and exceedingly lots all the western international.

• Kendra
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Being Puerto Rican means that you were either born there, your parents were or you live and are a citizen now. Look at America, there is no set look of Americans. I have a Jamacian friend whos parents immigrated from India, but he lives and was born on the Island therefore he is Jamacian.

If i moved to PR and had children they would be white Puerto Ricans...make sense?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not a race. Some are Asian, some are AmeriIndian. some are white, some are black some are VERY mixed, some are Mestizo.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

duh because Puerto Rican is not a race. if you asked why Puerto Rico is so diversed then you'll make sense. My country is very diverse; we have everything here; i'm from about 4 different races.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why does america look so diverse? Oh wait, because there are white americans, arab americans, blacks americans, asian americans!!! come on your smarter then that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they are... duh. Lol I have a puerto rican cousin who looks white and then his brother is dark skinned and the sister is middle complexion. See they come in varieties like candy.

Source(s): Family members.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No sh!t Sherlock.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.