Steph asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

How do you make-up for being a drunk jackass at your best friends wedding?

Okay, so I believe I messed up. My best friend got married on Saturday and I was her maid of honor. I did as much as I could to help her out during the process and that night. At the reception after all of the official wedding things- like the dinner, speech, cake cutting, dances- me and her sister and some others starting taking shots and whatnot. I had figured I hadn't got to drink yet and I was supposed to clean up the whole mess at the end and I never get an oppotunity to go out drinking (I have 3 kids and this was after my parents took them home for the night). Well we were having quite a bit of fun by the bar and I started thinking about how I wish my best friend was right there with us (I barely got to see her that whole night) and we got her to take a shot with us (which her husband didnt like and wasnt happy about) and then later on I started crying (obviously severly drunk) about my friend not being able to be there anymore and yadda yadda- i actuallly cant remember if I had a good reason to be crying but I was very emotional. She came with me into the bathroom and we talked and then she left for the night. Well by the time I went back into the reception hall to clean up, her mom and family had already cleaned up the whole thing. I mean everything! I'm sure they are pissed...

How do I try to make amends with her and her family? She is on her honeymoon right now but I'd like to try to figure out what to do before she gets back.

Favorite Answer

I'd knock and her families door, and say, please can I come in.

Look at them in the eye and say you are so sorry about it. Don't make excuses, just come out with it. Say I wish I could make up for it but you can't. You can only say sorry after all.

I'm sure they'd consider that u actually said sorry and in person too!

• Kriss

you take your friend a nice big bouquet and tell her that you hope she had a wonderful time and you apologize for losing control getting blubbery and sloppy.

as to the ladies you were supposed to help clean up. send them each a little note apologizing for not helping out like you agreed to and thank them for being patient w/ you when you had your meltdown. (it might be nice if you also sent her mom a token gift as well--flowers would be fine)

FWIW: unless you're in the habit of getting drunk and sloppy and shrugging off your responsibilities, I doubt they are angry w/ you. I'm sure that they get that you had a little too much to drink and had an emotional moment that went a little off the rails.

you know what would be really sweet? if you waited at the airport for them when they came back and told the couple you were sorry. maybe take the bridal party out for a nice dinner to make it up to them?

hope everything turns out ok, that sucks.

JUST SAY SORRY. thats it. buh-bye.