Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Would the country be a better place if Lobbying Congress was made illegal?

by definition, lobbying could just be trying to talk somebody into something... but i mean using any type of money, career promotions, tangible goods, etc.

Update:

freedom of SPEECH does NOT mean freedom to BRIBE

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Finally!!!! I'm glad somebody else thinks so, not just me.

How do you know if a politician is making a decision in the best interest of the American people if he is paid to make that decision?

Why do we even get excited about watching politicians pleading their cases on the House of Representative's Floor when we all know they are being paid to support or not support the debate?

• 1 decade ago

If a corporation is giving money to a politician, they are always going to expect something back in return. Whatever they want will always come at the expense of consumers, workers, or the environment, in one way or another. The end result is that the politician ends up voting against what they believe would be the fairest, most reasonable choice for everyone's interests, and siding primarily with the interests of large corporations. Worse still, if a politician decides to make the ethical choice and go against corporate interests, his or her opponent in the next election will likely be well financed and the ethical politician will be driven out of office for lack of funds. In most elections the winner spends twice as much money as the loser.

There is absolutely no reason congress should be allowed to accept any money from corporations, or anyone who is acting on behalf of the corporation they work for. It is long past due for reform to happen.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

To me each and every of the unlawful immigrants could flow back to their very own fatherland and stay there. Now if the immigrants become born and breed interior the u . s . a . which could be a various undertaking. yet considering the fact that alot of them are unlawful immigrants they'd desire to purely stay top the place they're at of their residing house u . s . a ..

• 1 decade ago

nope not a chance...

the MOST important aspect of our country is freedom of speech...

when you start limiting that because you want to "Save" the country.. where do you stop??

how long before all speech is limited?!

while i understand completely what you want to accomplish.. and agree with you on the goal... you have to find a way to accomplish it that does NOT infringe on freedom of speech... when you look at the potential of laws it is VERY important that you not look at what they can accomplish when used correctly.. but how they can be used to harm you by those that just want to increase their power.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hell yes, it should be.

When people are paying millions of dollars to influence political policy, you know that there is something fishy going on to skirt around that "one person, one vote" idea of a Democracy.

Corporations are using their money to buy votes. This is illegal.

• Alan S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

eliminating citizen access to our law makers would be a giant step towards forming a totalitarian state. Nothing is wholly good or wholly evil so you have to take the good with the bad. Access is more good than evil.

• 1 decade ago

It would be, however to ban it would be a gross violation of the first amendment.

• 1 decade ago

ABSOLUTELY! Within weeks, I believe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.