Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

Diastema and Orthodontics?

Here is my situation, I had braces for 3 years which closed a gap I had between my two front teeth (called diastema). I had them taken off like a month ago just before moving to the U.S. and I have been wearing a retainer ever since.

BUT now, the diastema is opening up again. Which makes me VERY frustrated I could not enjoy my smile for than a month!!.

So I called my orthodontist back home and she said that happens and that I should wait until I go back to my country in December to have an appoitment with her.

What should I do? I am very upset not only because the gap is back but wearing retainers makes it very hard for me to speak english!!. Should I go to an orthodontist here ? You think other kinds of retainers might close the gap???

Help!

Best Answer

I don't know what type of retainer you have, but if made & worn properly, the diastema should not have reopened; possible the retainer may need a wire properly adjusted by a dentist/orthodontist; suggest you go to an othodontist for a consultation if you can't wait until you get back home.

Source(s): Self-Dentist.
  • GSH

This is called relapse. Its due to the muscles joining the bone b/w the two central incisors and the lip. You can feel the muscle with your tongue which is called as Frenum. These muscles pull the teeth towards the previous position again and again even after correction by orthodontic appliances and retainers. When retainers fail to keep your teeth in the corrected position then a procedure called FRENECTOMY is performed by a Periodontist. This cuts off the muscles which cause relapse. So there will not be any gap after FRENECTOMY and Orthodontic treatment with fixed or removable appliances and adequate retainers to prevent relapse... Hope it helps!

I had braces as a kid. My gap came back as an adult. I love my gap.