Jehovah Witnesses, is the Father called the 'Beginning,' and the End?

Does the 'Beginning' mean He had a beginning? Does it mean He was created? I'm trying to follow your logic here. You said, because Jesus is said to be the Beginning in Revelation 3:14, and in also called the Beginning and the End in Revelation 1 and 22, He thus had a beginning. Same Greek words are used when 'Beginning and End' is describing the Father. Why in one instance does it mean Jesus was created, but not the Father? Neither the Father, nor the Son are created.

Hannah,

Regarding Colossians 1:15...

According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon, the word 'firstborn' (Greek: prototokos) is an adjective. While in a literal sense, it can denote the first that comes from the womb, but frequently is an expression of supremacy, not chronological order.

Psalms 89:27, God said in regards to David, that He would appoint David to be His 'firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth.' Also in Jeremiah 31:9, where Ephraim is called the Lord's 'firstborn,' although, Manasseh was Ephraim's older brother, the 'firstborn' from the womb (Genesis 48:14). In this context, and as shown in Genesis 48:19, as well as Psalms 89:27, the term 'firstborn' is a title of superiority, of supremacy. The term 'firstborn' in Colossians 1:15 does not refer to an actual physical birth, but rather, refers to Christ's position of supremacy.

Hannah,

And as for Revelation 3:14...

‘Beginning’ here, translates from the Greek word ‘arche,’ meaning ‘the origin,’ ‘the active cause,’ ‘that by which anything begins to be,’ ‘leader,’ ‘the person or thing that commences,’ ‘magistracy,’ ‘rule.’ Revelation 3:14 does not in anyway teach that Christ was created. Ironically, it teaches that He is the ‘active cause,’ ‘the origin’ of all creation, that He is the Creator, the source of all things, the Beginning of all things.

Best Answer

I browsed at this question 3 or 4 hours ago (I was too busy to answer ).

You got a good answer from, I think his name was "Lioness" ? or something like that.

Now his answer is gone ! Anyway this is a good question, I asked a similar question

last week and only got 5 answers from JWs.

First-born like the word begotten can have different meanings in the bible

when we interpret scripture with scripture and rely on bible definitions only.

You have rightly pointed out that the word "beginning" referring to Jesus Christ , does

not mean he was created in the beginning by God, but he is the source.

Col 1:18..who is the begining

Rev 3:14...the beginning of the creation of God.

Now JWs have to be consistent here, if they say , Jesus was created by God in the beginning

because the bible uses this word, then how do they explain these verses

Rev 21:5-7

v:6...I am the Alpha and Omega, the BEGINING and the END

Rev 22:13

I am the Alpha and Omega, the BEGINING and the End, the first and the last.

As these verses are referring to Jehovah-God , would it not indicate God has a begining

Why give a special meaning for Jesus , and not God ?

If they go to the Greek , they will find the same meaning for all these references to the word.

Obviously God does not have a begining or an end (he is the source)

the same as our Lord Jesus Christ (God in the flesh ) John 1:1 and 1Tim 3:16 ,Rev 1:17-18

I hope this has been some help to you, and hopefully to JWs to do there own bible study on this topic.

• Anne

The title “the Alpha and the Omega” applies to Jehovah, stressing that there was no almighty God before him and that there will be none after him. He is “the beginning and the end.” (Rev. 21:6; 22:13) Although Jehovah is referred to as “the first and the last” at Revelation 22:13, in that there is none before or after him, the context in the first chapter of Revelation shows that the title “the First and the Last” there applies to Jesus Christ. He was the first human to be resurrected to immortal spirit life and the last one to be so resurrected by Jehovah personally.—Col. 1:18.

"And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Al′pha and the O·me′ga, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free" (Revelation 21:6. Bible).

"I am the Al′pha and the O·me′ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end" (Revelation 22:13. Bible).

While many commentators apply this title both to God and to Christ, a more careful examination of its use restricts its application to Jehovah God. The first verse of Revelation shows that the revelation was given originally by God and through Jesus Christ, hence the one speaking (through an angelic representative) at times is God himself, and at other times it is Christ Jesus. (Re 22:8) Thus Revelation 1:8 (RS) says: “‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God [“Jehovah God,” NW], who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” Although the preceding verse speaks of Christ Jesus, it is clear that in verse 8 the application of the title is to “the Almighty” God. In this regard Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament (1974) observes: “It cannot be absolutely certain that the writer meant to refer to the Lord Jesus specifically here . . . There is no real incongruity in supposing, also, that the writer here meant to refer to God as such.”

The title occurs again at Revelation 21:6, and the following verse identifies the speaker by saying: “Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I shall be his God and he will be my son.” Inasmuch as Jesus referred to those who are joint heirs with him in his Kingdom as “brothers,” not “sons,” the speaker must be Jesus’ heavenly Father, Jehovah God.—Mt 25:40; compare Heb 2:10-12.

The final occurrence of the title is at Revelation 22:13, which states: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” It is evident that a number of persons are represented as speaking in this chapter of Revelation; verses 8 and 9 show that the angel spoke to John, verse 16 obviously applies to Jesus, the first part of verse 17 is credited to “the spirit and the bride,” and the one speaking in the latter part of verse 20 is manifestly John himself. “The Alpha and the Omega” of verses 12-15, therefore, may properly be identified as the same one who bears the title in the other two occurrences: Jehovah God. The expression, “Look! I am coming quickly,” in verse 12, does not require that these aforementioned verses apply to Jesus, inasmuch as God also speaks of himself as “coming” to execute judgment. (Compare Isa 26:21.) Malachi 3:1-6 speaks of a joint coming for judgment on the part of Jehovah and his “messenger of the covenant.”

The title “the Alpha and the Omega” carries the same thought as “the first and the last” and “the beginning and the end” when these terms are used with reference to Jehovah. Before him there was no Almighty God, and there will be none after him. He will bring to a successful conclusion the issue over Godship, forever vindicated as the one and only Almighty God.—Compare Isa 44:6.

How Did the Trinity Doctrine Develop? : http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_04.htm

Jesus is God’s “firstborn” (Col 1:15) as God’s first creation, called “the Word” in his prehuman existence. (Joh 1:1) The word “beginning” in John 1:1 cannot refer to the “beginning” of God the Creator, for he is eternal, having no beginning. (Ps 90:2) It must therefore refer to the beginning of creation, when the Word was brought forth by God as his firstborn Son. The term “beginning” is used in various other texts similarly to describe the start of some period or career or course, such as the “beginning” of the Christian career of those to whom John wrote his first letter (1Jo 2:7; 3:11), the “beginning” of Satan’s rebellious course (1Jo 3:8), or the “beginning” of Judas’ deflection from righteousness. (Joh 6:64; see JUDAS No. 4 [Became Corrupt].) Jesus is the “only-begotten Son” (Joh 3:16) in that he is the only one of God’s sons, spirit or human, created solely by God, for all others were created through, or “by means of,” that firstborn Son.

Source(s): Abdijah: I suppose I should start realizing that fact, seeing how close-minded he is and no matter what you say, he always finds something to construe to his own beliefs without regard for anything else. God's word is clear on matters he wants his creatures to know of. If Clint wants to keep fooling himself, I suppose it's best to just let him.

My answer is that firstborn means that at one time Jesus did not exist and beginning means just that... beginning.

I predict that you will ask this one again this evening... maybe even tomorrow... could be the next day... but you will ask this again!

Hannah, you are wasting your time with Clint. He has a Scriptural basis for his beliefs, and the basis is in the Scripture below:

Source(s): 2 Corinthians 4:4