.
. asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Which is better Norton or Kaspersky anti virus?

I am planning to buy an anti-virus but I am confused ..I have heard norton slows down your pc, is it true? I want anti-virus which will detect all kind of spy-wares and sometimes I feel that I have been key-logged, I feel that everything I type gets recorded in someone else's PC which anti virus & which version of the anti virus will take care of this problem...I have avg free edition right now but I am not satisfied with it

I need answers fast because I am planning to buy it tomorrow

Best Answer

Now the truth from someone who has tested them. Norton is a all round memory hog that doesn't do as well as hyped. If you have AVG on your machine my best advise to you is reload your operating system. AVG will let anything and everything on your machine. Their are millions of infections that AVG will not detect. It will not detect a keylogger, it will not detect root kits. it will not detect Trojans. It will not detect Mal ware. About all it will detect is cookies that can be dealt with in your browser settings. If it does detect anything about all it will do is lock it up in a vault on your hard drive taking up space. AVG is also a resource hog. It runs to heavy for what it does.

The smartest thing i can tell you to do is reload your operating system. A full destructive reformat. Get Kaspersky internet security on your machine. Make sure your machine is fully patched at the Microsoft update site. Get away from IE if you are still using it. Get Firefox with the ad blocker plug in.

I have tested Norton and Kaspersky using VM ware. It's a virtual machine. I've thrown some nasty stuff at both of them. Kaspersky always comes out on top. I infected the Kaspersky computer 3 times. By the next update Kaspersky took care of it and all traces of the infections were gone. Norton, Different story. After several updates the Norton computer remained infected. Three days later it was still infected and the infection disabled Norton. No infection that i have thrown at Kaspersky has ever been able to disable it. That's more than i can say for Norton.

And please, Don't listen to these free pushers. When you go to a free AV your protection level really drops. Free AV's are junk for the people who think they shouldn't have to pay for anything. The free loaders of the internet. Others just plain don't know any better. Most of them are kids that think they know everything because they figured out how to reload their operating system. Don't listen to them.

Make sure your machine is clean by reloading your operating system. Patch it fully, Get Kaspersky internet security, Forget about it, Enjoy the internet. I haven't been infected going on 6 years with anything. You need at least 256 mb of memory for Kaspersky to run smooth. If you have at least one gig of memory it will run smooth without slowing your computer one bit. Especially if you turn off programs you are not using.

• Erin

Those are both very good programs. Picking one as better over the other can simply be users choice. Norton has a higher overall detection and removal rate. But Kaspersky has better proactive protection. If picking between Norton anti-virus and Kaspersky anti-virus it's a very close call. If picking between the Internet Security Suites then Norton would be my pick. Norton's ease of use and smart firewall are hard to beat. It also does a better job with rootkits. Kaspersky Internet Security has a great feature which allows you to run a program like your browser in a sandbox. Very strong protection when browsing the internet. If you use it. Norton also runs lighter than Kaspersky. Both of those programs are very good. Pick the one that has more time on the subscription

• Ed G

First think about getting the Internet Security suites from Norton or Kaspersky. They are both very good. Norton has less impact on a computer than almost any other anti-virus program. Kaspersky protection is very good and so is Norton. They are a couple of the top programs. Make sure you pick one and then go to their web site and get the 30 day free trial. Make sure it runs good on your computer. Internet Security Suites can sometimes conflict with something on your computer. So before you buy one try it first. AVG free isn't that good you could try the paid version of AVG which is a much better program. I'll give you a link to the paid version for free it's a one day only deal, and you have to register at the site. But you can't beat the price.

http://store.v3.co.uk/

Last minute update. Go here and see how light the new Kaspersky is running. This is why I say try it first

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

2

Source(s): Amazing Protection Antivirus Software - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?ETAg

I heard that Norton itself creates virus and then detect it and then remove it. I also heard that it slows down the PC. My experience about Kaspersky is pretty well. I will give Kaspersky 4 out of 5.

Source(s): Personal experience

The speed of antivirus depends on lots of things in your PC and configuration. Norton is usually slower than kaspersky.

For maximum security, get a version with Internet Security (not standalone antivirus). That will allow control what processes can send data out from your PC.

kaspersky is better because Kaspersky Anti-Virus combines reactive antivirus and spyware detection methods with the latest proactive technologies to provide your computer with the most effective protection against malicious programs. The product is simple to install and set up, while offering advanced users a range of versatile settings for fine-tuning the program.

norton slows ur system

• John S

I would say Norton antivirus, avg its free right thats why your not satisfied, also download a copy of malware bytes, it will help keep bad stuff off your pc

norton is not the best. for home users and students, norton is just too slow and slugging to load. it takes a lot of system resourcers <CPU, memory usage>.

Avast free edition protects you from viruses and spyware. However it doesn't prevent theft of personal data, plus it doesn't protect you from unwanted emails <spam>.

if you want good protection you need to get Avast Internet Security kit.

Kaspersky is good bet, for Internet security kit however it's pricey $59.99 for 3 PC.

you will need

Ccleaner - free

A squared-anti-malware, antispyware.

have a nice day

• Shaun

Either one will be okay.

Norton antivirus 2010 will not slow down your system.

You may need to see if you have meet the minimum system requirements for both of these product, and decide which one to buy

Norton antivirus system requirements

http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus

Kaspersky antivirus system requirements

http://www.kaspersky.com/au/kaspersky_anti-virus

If you have meet the minimum system requirements for both of these product, you can choose whatever you like.

Both of these antivirus should detect keyloggers, however, you may want to consider norton internet security, norton antivirus may not be able to prevent keyloggers as much as norton internet security, even norton internet security will not slow down your system, if your system meets the minimun requirements for it.