is tattoo ink FDA approved?

Update:

i ask because inks used in tattoos are subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as cosmetics and color additives, the agency has not traditionally regulated them, letting the task fall to local jurisdictions, according to a fact sheet issued by the FDA Office of Cosmetics and Colors, I KNOW ITS NOT A FOOD OR DRUG thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • T B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Why did you want to eat some??

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Fda Approved Tattoo Ink

• 1 decade ago

No it isn't and it isn't regulated either.

Tattoo ink is made from a myriad of substances, some synthetic. Black is carbon based and the body handles it well. Reds are often the cause of allergic reactions, but the body usually handles a touch up well.

This is why you need an experienced and established tattoo artist, that knows their inks and how well they hold up over time.

Also, the inks will be of a higher quality at a licensed and reputable shop, then at the guy down the street in his garage. You don't want to go bargain shopping!

luck~

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Why do you want to buy tattoo ink, anyway? In my experience tattoo artists and apprentices know all about the products they use, and have access to plenty of suppliers where they can get their tattooing equipment and materials... and nobody but tattoo artists has any business buying this stuff anyway.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's not a Food or Drug, so it wouldn't fall in their jurisdiction.

• 1 decade ago

no. why do you ask?

EDIT; check this out....

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602...

Source(s): professional tattoo artist
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.