Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Dog ate whole chocolate cake!?

Now this didn't happen recently, but it is something I have been pondering in mind over they past few years. We got our dog when he was just old enough to be away from his mother, and a few weeks later, we were driving around the city, letting the dog get used to his new surroundings, when we stopped at a new bakery. We bought a couple slices of their chocolate cake and were shocked at how delicious it was. In fact, so shocked that we bought the largest chocolate they could make. A few hours later, we returned home, excited to have slice of cake. We left the dog in the living (adjacent to our eat-in kitchen) and went to invite our neighbors over so their dogs could meet our dog and we could share some cake. We went over and 10-15 minutes later, we return to see the cake box upside down on the floor with the dog licking the corner of the box. At first we thought the box had just fell off the counter, but when I picked it up to see if the cake could be salvaged, the thing was empty and the whole cake was nowhere to be seen except for some frosting the puppy was licking up off the floor.

My question is: How did he survive? It's been 4 years now and he has yet to show any signs of being sick, we took him to the vet and he was perfectly healthy. Why?

Update:

Another thing that concerned me was that it was a JUMBO-SIZED cake!!! How did he manage to eat it all??

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    LOL im sorry this is very funny because my little poodle did something similar, she ate a bag of cotton candy. But she got very sick the next day, it is very lucky he did not get sick and get the worms like my dog did. But animals are just like kids you have to seriously watch them, if they are not properly trained.

    Source(s): I LOVE ANIMALS
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Most dogs are quite hardy. You are indeed very lucky he didn't get ill and merit a vet visit though, that's for sure! However, it is incorrect that 'dogs are allergic to chocolate but not all are' It's not an allergy, it's the caffeine like chemical theobromine, and it can be deadly toxic when they ingest 100 to 150 mg per kg of body weight. My guess is there was not enough real chocolate in the recipe for the cake to kill your dog based on his size (I know he was a puppy, but is he a large breed?) Like some of the others said, many recipes don't actually contain that much chocolate.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Most dogs have severe allergic reactions to eating chocolate. Some do not have this allergy at all. They can eat chocolate and not get sick at all. This does not mean that it is still okay to give them chocolate, it is still toxic to dogs. It is just that some dogs do not get as sick as others may do so. My grandmas dog ate three full-sized chocolate bars that were left out by my cousin. She shoes no sign of being sick, shes is still alive today.

    Source(s): My own experience(:
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    It depends.

    Some dogs have maybe a bite or two of a chocolate bar and have a seizure, or get sick. Other dogs, like yours (Lucky Lucky :D) will eat a massive cake and be just fine. Also like some people that will have poisoned food, or a venomous bite, other people survive, others get sick, others nothing happenes or they die. I think it's all about the dogs system since, like people, not all dogs are the same.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

    Depending on the recipe, a Chocolate cake may have not that much chocolate in it. also sensitivities to Chocolate vary. I DO know of a case where the stolen cake killed the dog

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Because chocolate isn't fatal to dogs. I'm somewhat old, and the whole "chocolate will kill a dog" thing has come along fairly recently in my dog owning life. The last decade or so I guess? When I was a kid I had a dog who was passionately fond of brownies, and I can't even guess as to how many pans of brownies were lost to us because he managed to get his paws on them. The only way to keep him out of them was to put them in the fridge, and countless pans of cooling brownies that were set where we were sure he couldn't reach them.....well....they became his.

    He was likewise hooked on chocolate milk, candy bars...anything chocolate.He not only lived to a ripe old age but he never even got fat! (Highly unfair in my opinion. I get fat on chocolate.)

    As I got older I had other dogs who adored chocolate and I always shared a little with them. There were other instances of chocolate thievery and honestly I never even had a dog get sick from chocolate. It never seemed to harm them a bit.

    Then lo! Suddenly chocolate is lethal to dogs. I can tell you honestly that when I heard that my eyebrow was about six feet above my head while I thought of all the dogs who should have perished in my lifetime, most particularly Joe, the brownie fiend.

    So, I asked my vet, who told me that chocolate contains a lot of caffeine and SOME dogs are highly sensitive to caffiene and can suffer fatal arrhythmia's if they consume caffeine. Since there's no particular way to know if your dog is or is not sensitive to caffeine the most sensible recommendation is to tell people not to give their dogs caffeine. Since the caffeine containing food dogs are most likely to want to consume is chocolate.....don't give your dog chocolate.

    I've had other vets tell me there are other substances in chocolate besides caffeine that dogs can be sensitive to, so it's best to avoid it on general principle.

    As of now I live with an 11 year old dachshund who has stolen a fair amount of chocolate in her lifetime, as well as a 7 year old poodle who has done the same and are both fine.

    I have a lab/border collie mix who is a goat and eats things that aren't even edible, so I find it hard to believe chocolate would hurt her if styrofoam, wood, plastic, fabric and paper don't.

    I'm firmly convinced, though, that it would completely kill my pit mix boy, because he's so food intolerant.

    I don't give it to any of them though, because why take chances?

    But that's why your dog lived....and why mine have.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    I have one dog that seems to be a bottomless pit when he wants to. But chocolate doesnt kill dogs...obviously. Its the theobromine in chocolate that can be toxic to dogs. so it depends on how much of that was in the chocoalte.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Unless your dog is still showing strange behavior, this is nothing to be worried about. In the moment, yes it is scary. I wouldn't take him to the vet unless he shows signs that he is sick.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Most dogs are allergic to chocolate, that's why they can't eat it. Your dog is just one of the several who isn't allergic. My dachshund was never allergic to chocolate either.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    dogs aren't allergic to chocolate, the theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs because the cant metabolize it. now it may not have affected your dog because of your dogs size or because of how young he was

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.