Dog ate whole chocolate cake!?

Now this didn't happen recently, but it is something I have been pondering in mind over they past few years. We got our dog when he was just old enough to be away from his mother, and a few weeks later, we were driving around the city, letting the dog get used to his new surroundings, when we stopped at a new... show more Now this didn't happen recently, but it is something I have been pondering in mind over they past few years. We got our dog when he was just old enough to be away from his mother, and a few weeks later, we were driving around the city, letting the dog get used to his new surroundings, when we stopped at a new bakery. We bought a couple slices of their chocolate cake and were shocked at how delicious it was. In fact, so shocked that we bought the largest chocolate they could make. A few hours later, we returned home, excited to have slice of cake. We left the dog in the living (adjacent to our eat-in kitchen) and went to invite our neighbors over so their dogs could meet our dog and we could share some cake. We went over and 10-15 minutes later, we return to see the cake box upside down on the floor with the dog licking the corner of the box. At first we thought the box had just fell off the counter, but when I picked it up to see if the cake could be salvaged, the thing was empty and the whole cake was nowhere to be seen except for some frosting the puppy was licking up off the floor.
My question is: How did he survive? It's been 4 years now and he has yet to show any signs of being sick, we took him to the vet and he was perfectly healthy. Why?
Update: Another thing that concerned me was that it was a JUMBO-SIZED cake!!! How did he manage to eat it all??