Talked to IG, CoC flipped ****.?

I had a "PA" hold that seemed strange on my ERB and went to IG to ask basically what it was. It was twofold; one, I wanted to find out if it was a real hold as I hadn't been contacted or notified, as well as the fact I've never been in trouble with my unit or even received a negative counseling... show more I had a "PA" hold that seemed strange on my ERB and went to IG to ask basically what it was. It was twofold; one, I wanted to find out if it was a real hold as I hadn't been contacted or notified, as well as the fact I've never been in trouble with my unit or even received a negative counseling statement.

I also went because I wanted a third party to give me answers and I figured IG would have experience with that sort of thing. It was a short meeting, I didn't ask to investigate or anything, and the rep basically told me he thought it was either a mistake or something I should ask the CO about.

Come today, I find out that IG notified my CoC to follow up on it. They flipped ****; I'm on convalescent leave for testicular surgery and apparently that was cancelled, they thought I'd tried to have a complaint filed against them, etc.

I know I've opened a can of worms, but I need to know several things for I go into work tomorrow. One, is there any reprisal that can be put in place against a soldier for doing this? I realize I did skip the chain of command, but I'm not sure of the rules regarding this.

Secondly, is that standard procedure for IG? I wouldn't have done it if I knew that my CoC would receive a complaint. I basically wanted advice.

Third, any hints on how to defuse this situation?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Update: Ironically, my CoC did say it was a clerical error and they hadn't tried to block my promotion.
Update 2: I wasn't trying to file an IG complaint. I basically wanted advice on the matter, not to file anything. If I'd known IG was going to make a complaint, I wouldn't have talked to them. I just thought that they'd have experience in these matters. I was as surprised to hear about it as my CoC.