Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

This might be a really dumb question, but........?

Are there different kinds of atheism/nonbelievers? Like there's dif denominations of Christianity, are there dif 'denominations' of atheism?

If you think this is a dumb question...pretend it's not and gimme an answer, anyway X-)

Favorite Answer

No. Its a simple disbelief in God. No more or less. Each atheist will have their own views on life. In England quite a lot are Humanists but by no means all. I've given you a link to the British Humanist Association. Not trying to convert you - I'm not a member myself - but just in case you are interested.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Most Atheists and Agnostics are not in an organized group. In fact many of them are against organized beliefs and resent the terms "organized", "religion", "denomination", "group", etc.

No, this is NOT a dumb question. Unfortunately, it is one that a lot of Atheists get bent out of shape over so do not be shocked if you get some rude answers. You might even call Atheism a (non)religion of people who hate the word religion.

Like all people, there are many diverse beliefs ("non") and ideologies (beliefs for people who hate the word belief). Some people with similar beliefs ("non-beliefs") DO organize and enjoy meeting to discuss ideas and work on getting political recognition. Some became Atheistic because of the abuses of organized religion and so do not like the idea of organizing. Some even respond to the term "Atheist" even though there are other words that would better describe them (eg: Anti-Religionist, Humanist, Agnostic, etc).

Here are some things to learn more about that may help you understand "Atheists" better.

Deist: Many of the US founding fathers were Deist. They still believed in "God", but did not like Christianity or organized religions that could abuse people or force them to follow rules that came from church leaders. Many Deists believe in a "non-interventional" God, meaning one that lets people make their own decision (free will) INCLUDING choosing not to follow church "leaders".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deist

Agnostic: Undecided about the existence of god (called soft) or actively decided that god is not present (never will be present while we live) enough to make any firm conclusions (called firm) a good idea. For a Firm Agnostic, anyone who claims to have the only "right" answer is deluded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Humanist: what people do, and how they deal with each other is the most important. God has nothing (or little) to do with it. Laws are by people for people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

A-religious: Do not care about religion. Often think that it is a waste of time or a bother.

Anti-Religious: Think that religions are bad for people and cause society harm. Feel that they are no longer helpful or were never helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antireligion

Pantheistic: All religions are part of the Universe. All paths are the same but just seem different

Henotheistic: My religion is right for me but may not be right for you. Your religion may be right for you but not right for me.

Source(s): Hard Agnostic, non-Abrahamic Henotheistic, Panentheistic, Dystheist
  • .

Atheism is just the lack of belief in deities. It is not a religion so there are no denominations. The only thing all atheists share in common is that they do not believe in a god. Outside of that, their beliefs on other matters, and how opened or closed to the idea will vary as far as the eye can see. There are strong atheists, weak atheists, atheists who believe in ghosts, atheists with superstitious beliefs, atheists who have religions (that do not involve a deity), and many more.

I've seen at least one atheist called themselves a "devout anti-theist."

I'm more of an apathetic atheist, in that I don't really care about the existence (or lack of) of gods. Of course, I do believe that the existence of the Abrahamic god is extremely unlikely.

The Pantheists, Deists, and/or others might be right. I don't care. It's irrelevant to my life.

The only thing that concerns me is the attempts by some to force their religious beliefs into our laws and education.

kinda yes and no

there are different people, so there will be differnt individuals who belong to the same 'lable'

its not denominations, its more like,individual peopels personality and characters

there are 'hard' atheists, not hard atheists, and even atheists who are agnostic atheist, pagan atheist, and many other things

as i said, its really a personality , its not a belif, its just, a view, so you can pretty much be who you are with that view as well

i think its a perfectly valid q ;-)

I bet there are different degrees of atheism. I have noticed that some atheists are learning of GOD via the Dead Sea Scrolls, while others are adamant that only they know the truth that GOD does not exist. Good question!

Atheism: Lack of belief in a god or gods.

Atheists can be agnostic - lack knowledge/certainty that there is or is not a god.

Atheists can be gnostic - claim to know or have 100% certainty there is not a god.

Atheists can be anti-theists - are actively opposed to theism.

Atheist-agnostics can be strong or weak atheists in their agnosticism - If weak they're apathetic, if strong they come close or as close to certainty as possible there isn't a god.

For example, I am a strong atheist-agnostic. I am 99.99% sure there is no god anywhere in the universe at any time. Epistemologically, I cannot be 100% certain. I personally view gnosticism to be an arrogant position. Weak atheist-agnosticism is the default state we're all born in. While I am still atheist-agnostic, I am stronger in my certainty.

Atheists can be agnostic or gnostic depending on the particular definition of "god". For example, I am atheist-gnostic towards the Judeo-Christian deity which is an impossible god.

Also, here is Richard Dawkins' particular scale where both he and I fall on number 6:

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, ‘I do not believe, I know.’

2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. ‘I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.’

3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. ‘I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.’

4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. ‘God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.’

5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. ‘I don’t know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be sceptical.’

6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. ‘I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.’

7. Strong atheist. ‘I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.’

There are No dumb questions.... We learn by asking..

Yes there are.

They SAY they don`t have a religion, yet they believe their views, just as much as we believe ours.

HOWEVER, when we look up the word religion we find,

Religion defined: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.

They believe it happened one way, we believe it happened another.. They are just a bit uglier about their beliefs ((not always so, but mostly so)) and deny it more.. It is the pot, calling the kettle black..

Peace and blessings from Texas <><

Atheism has a subset called anti-theism, Dawkins formed a cult among them. They are a lot of the ones you see on here. This is modeled after the old Soviet Union propaganda about theists (particularly Christians) being delusional, unintelligent and basically a hinderance to humanity. This led to the death of millions upon millions of people.

There are lots of different makes of clothes, as there are lots of different denominations of religion. Nakedness is the absence of clothes, as atheism is the absence of religion. Are there different makes of nakedness? There's your answer.