Changing last name????

What do you have to do to change your last name when you get married? I've read that once you sign your marriage certificate your last name is changed but somehow it doesn't seem believable. Any answers? Thanks.

Once your married you can add on the surname of your husband to your maiden but for signing legal documents and handling business at the bank, things of that nature people will still acknowledege you as your maiden name. You have to go to the social security office, find one near your location. You walk in without appt and bring your birth certificate, soical security card, state id or drivers license, and marriage license. You fill out a form which they will provide for you and when they call you up to the window, you give them the change your name form due to marriage and they will ask you what do you want to change it to and how you want it printed on your new soical security card. You social security number will remain the same but they will change your name under that number in there system. In about 2 weeks they will mail you out a new social security card. Trash the old one because it can never be used again. From here on out your new, official, legal, lastname will be whatever you changed it to. GOOD LUCK!

In the USA that is the long and short of it. What ever name is put on the Marriage Certificate, once signed by the clergy or officiating person, becomes your new name. If both of you would like a new name you can do so now as well. Once it is signed and submitted to the state, it is legally binding. You may need to submit a copy to IRS, SSA, your job, for them to accept it, but these are formalities so they have proof of the name change.

• Ranjan

Girls can keep the parental surname if required...u could also add husband's surname after ur full name with parental surname...

But if u want to change the surname then fill the marriage registry paper properly and get a certificate with husband's surname...after getting the proper certificate, u have to produce it to other authorities for duly changing ur name in their documents like Passport, PAN card or Bank Account etc...

• LB

When you apply for your marriage certificate, it asks you what your name will be after you get married so when the officiant files the paperwork saying you're married, your name is legally changed to whatever you wrote on the license application.

It's true -now all you do is take a copy of the marriage certificate to the DMV and send a copy to the Social Security office and they'll do the rest - same with bank accounts, etc. Unless you want to keep your name, then you don't do anything!

• Yep, if you live in the USA you bring your marriage certificate to social security, and they change it for you.

I thought it was a lot more complicated, too, and the court was NO help. They told me they couldn't give me "legal advice" and to see a lawyer! Well a family friend (who is a lawyer) told me all I had to do was change it with social security, and that's all I needed.

• Nehru

There is nothing for not believing it. After marriage the last name of the wife changes according to the husband's. But that has got to be notified through press and changed in the records.

You do not have to change your name when you get married.I know several women who did not change their name when they got married.

If your a girl you can choose to change your last name to his or keep your maiden last name.

Or you can hyphenate them together.

You must file with the state. Nothing else that I know of.