"Total Depravity" - Christians, what do you understand this Calvinist expression to mean?

The expression "Total Depravity" is much misunderstood and often maligned by Christians. What does the Bible have to say about the depravity of man, and what does Calvin actually (really) say about it?
Update: For clarification (because I suspect some people have read far more into this question than was intended), this is my position on the subject of "Total Depravity": The Bible view of total depravity is that since the fall of man, every part of man - his mind, will, emotions and flesh - have been... show more For clarification (because I suspect some people have read far more into this question than was intended), this is my position on the subject of "Total Depravity":

The Bible view of total depravity is that since the fall of man, every part of man - his mind, will, emotions and flesh - have been corrupted by sin. This sin penetrates to the very core of our being and that is why "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags" before a holy God (Isaiah 64:6). We all sin because we are all sinners by nature. Jeremiah 17:9 says that man's heart is "deceitful and desperately wicked" and the thoughts of our heart are continually evil (Genesis 6:5). We are born dead in transgression and sin (Psalm 51:5; 58:3; Ephesians 2:1-5) and our minds are "hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is unable to do so" (Romans 8:7).

I go along with what Paul said about the total depravity of man in Romans 3:9-18.

http://www.gotquestions.org/total-deprav...
Update 2: My thanks to all who have responded - even if some of you got the false impression that I follow Calvin and not Christ Jesus. I would like to add my 'Amen' to what Mobile DJ said (thanks to the grace of God, none of us are as depraved as we could be) and to what Dan the Man said (there is nothing in and of... show more My thanks to all who have responded - even if some of you got the false impression that I follow Calvin and not Christ Jesus. I would like to add my 'Amen' to what Mobile DJ said (thanks to the grace of God, none of us are as depraved as we could be) and to what Dan the Man said (there is nothing in and of ourselves that is worthy of salvation) but would modify his last sentence to read: it is only through Christ's blood that our depravity can be overcome.

Best answer goes to the person who most clearly spells out what the doctrine of Total Depravity actually is - and to everybody who disagrees, please check out the Got Questions link. I am now going to lie down in a quiet and dark room and repeat to myself, one hundred times, "I must never ask any questions about Calvin on R&S."