? asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 decade ago

What was the Ullman Mfg Co?

Favorite Answer

For those interested in further information on the ULLMAN MFG. Co., I did find a listing that may have a direct connection to the company in the "Greater New York Edition" of the "Printing Trades Blue Book for 1918" that reads:

L. ULLMAN & Sons

There is also a Martin ULLMAN who is among those rare few contributers singled out in the final issue of "AD Magazine," where he is listed as having been a member of the Society of Designers for Industry, in New York, and is credited for the April/May 1940 issue.

The latest listing I have found for the actual company, thus far, is that they were recorded as having done the illustrations for the book "Journal, 1803," by Washington Irving, working with the well-known Plimpton Press, of Norwood, MA and the Oxford Univ. Press, of New York. This was published in 1934. (You may be interested to know that the type of work they were doing at that time was colloidal printing.) This may have been one of their last major projects, as I found a notation in the files of the Alfred J. Frueh Papers, in the Archives of American Art that lists his contact with the company as ending in 1939 (specifically, 1921- 1939). My guess is that this is when they either changed their company name or ended doing business, completely. The most interesting bit of information to come out of that search, though, is that this is the first time that the ULLMAN MFG., Co. is found in a second listing, where it is shown in a clear relationship with another company, in this case Viafora (I presume Gianni Viafora, as later noted). The section of the listing that should be of interest is posted exactly as follows:

Ullman Manufacturing Company - Viafora, 1921-1939, undated

=== Ullman Manufacturing Company ===

=== Van Loon, Hendrik and Jimmie (Mrs. Van Loon) ===

=== Venable, Mr. and Mrs. Reginald Sidney Hgh ===

=== Viafora, Gina and Gianni ===

There is some interesting information on the website for the Metropolitan Postcard Club of New York City (http://www.metropostcard.com/publishersu.html), although some of the dates are off, I believe. It may be of interest to note some of the names that follow the stuff about ULLMAN, such as the one for "Underhill," as I believe there is some question about an artist with a same last name floating around, as well. (I did find a Nelson Underhill who was a railroad office worker in the late 19th C., in Colorado, which makes him an unlikely candidate. Instead, I would suggest the artist is, perhaps, a woman, and that the two names actually make up a single surrname, such as that belonging to "Edmund W. and Mary S. Nelson Underhill." Certainly the subject matter of the artwork done by "Nelson Underhill" would place it squarely in the 19th C. woman's realm.)

Hope this does not just confuse the issue all the more!

• Tom Z

Ullman Manufacturing Corporation was founded about 1888 by Nathan, Max, Louis and Isidor Ullman and Mark Stiles in New York City.

They did a big business about 1900-1915 in the sale of framed reproductions, postcards, theatre posters, jigsaw puzzles, books, etc.

Their lithographic reproductions were inexpensive and widely sold. They were not the sort of thing passed down as a family heirloom, but were often stored away, and are now found in antique shops and online auctions at prices ranging from a few dollars for a postcard to as much as $100 for a framed lithograph in excellent condition.