Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Phillies or the Yankees, who is better?

I'm from Philly but I love the Yankees.

Favorite Answer

Obviously the correct answer to that would be: The Yankees are better, much better, in every category. No disrespect to the Phillies or their fans - my dad is from Philly and graduated Temple University and then Penn State - but I have to say the Yankees, as I've been a devoted fan for over 37 years. We're talking Catfish Hunter days. And I can tell you proudly that I've been to Yankee stadium and watched Catfish Hunter pitch at his best.

And of course Sparky Lyle, and Thurman Munson before his tragic accident (I wonder if the newer Yankee fans know what he died of, without looking it up), and Graig Nettles, Willie Randolph, Roy White, Reggie Jackson, even Lou Piniella! I wonder how many Yankee fans knew that Lou Piniella was an outfielder for the Yankees with Reggie and and Roy White all in the outfield for NY.

And I was there for all 5 hired-and-fired Billy Martin days. I remember each and every time The Boss brought him back to try and win a championship, but sadly he had such a hard time, lasting a year here a couple more there, finally we won in '78 and '79 over the Dodgers.

Do Yankee fans today know that in the 1977 World Series, Reggie Jackson hit 3 home runs in the same game, and it's never been done since! This is world series home runs.

Do you remember Goose Gossagem? and Dave Righetti pitching a no hitter against the Red Sox in 1983, do you guys remember that? 4th of July he no-hit the red sox 4-0 and NYC went insane that whole night, I couldn't sleep, was out getting drunk and having a blast.

See, these are the things that make that Yankees so awesome as they are, and nothing anybody says will ever change that, because having the honor of watching so many unbelievable things happen with the Yankees over the last 3 decades, it's just... you can't put it into words how proud I am of my team.

Source(s): 3 decades of watching the Yankees

I actually think the Phillies is much better than last year's version. Even with Cliff Lee, Cole Hammels improved so much and Oswalt is proven he just simply needs run supports. The Phillies' line-up is non-change whatsoever even they have been hurt/underperforming. Without Lidge is pitching so much better, their bullpen is a lot more stable than before. I think the post season will be the right time for them to get really hot and the line-up will probably kill any NL pitching including Cards, Giants or the Braves.

Last year, the Yankees beat up the Phillies in an almost unfair fashion. I think if they do meet up this year, the Phillies will give the Yankees a hell of a fight.

Well, this question is about Yankees and the Phillies but I think other contenders have an equal chance. The playoff this season can be one of the best for last five years because the previous ones were pretty one sided, especially towards AL teams.

Yankees

• Well, I'm a die-hard Phillies Phan. Both are really good. (Yes,Yankees fans, you know its true. The "Phrillies" are pretty good) But Yankees are. They have amazing history of being good, Phillies, well haven't. Now, both are really good, don't forget it. I think the 07-? years are good because Charlie Manuel. That man is a legend. And I'm counting the years Charlie Manuel has couched, the Yankees won last year, The Phillies won the year before, and both teams didn't make it the year before those.I'm 13 so if this confuses you I'm really sorry, honest.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....thats humorous.... Bay and Francouer had their honest proportion of struggles on the plate final 300 and sixty 5 days. once you like Gary Sheffield to play a commencing outfield place you realize your a undesirable team. Hmm..Castillo is this a similar guy that dropped that ball final 300 and sixty 5 days and the Yankees gained the sport? Maine and Perez, your superb, might desire to win 15 video games...jointly. If Perez can win 15 video games, then it shows how very undesirable the communities he pitches against are. Pelfrey dosent have a prayer, he's a terrible pitcher. to no longer point out the Mets don't have an excellent nearer. they have not have been given any prayer of triumphing the pennent except the unresonable and extreme occurs. The Phillies, Braves, and Marlins are plenty, plenty extra beneficial than the Mets. The Nationals...properly..are the Nationals. i could say Braves or Phillies for the NL East, and the Mets have been given no prayer. The Phillies have an familiar pitching rotation, and a powerful line-up. The Braves have solid pitching, and line-up that would them the place they might desire to be. The Marlins have a splash of the two. The Mets have...a weakish line-up and..do no longer even get me began on the pitching team. Mets followers can bypass around asserting it grew to become into injuries final 300 and sixty 5 days all they choose, even though it grew to become into extra beneficial than merely injures to end 20 or so video games decrease than .500. Matt, in case you think of the Mets, Braves, and Marlins are on a similar point then you definately might desire to observe some NL East baseball. The Braves might have gained the East final 300 and sixty 5 days if Lowe hadnt began to make a mistake, and if that they had an excellent nearer. This 300 and sixty 5 days the Braves are going to tutor the Phillies what competion interior the branch is all approximately. they are, on the least, going to furnish the Phillies a huge 'ole chew interior the ***.

past decades the yankees now recently the phillies are the team to beat. new york used to run away with the division now look at them tampa bay and boston ( 5 games out dont mean they are done yet) are just as good if sometimes better then the yankees . Phillies got the dominating pitching and everyone knows defense in any sports wins championships

The Yankees have a better lineup, that's clear enough. They have Mariano Rivera as a difference maker....so again they are ahead.

But the addition of Roy Oswalt, and the form of Cole Hamels pulls the Phillies back to even.

If it's Sabathia v Halladay and Halladay wins....the Yankees can't cope after that.

Even by my own analysis, it's dam close.

easily the phillies. Their pitching will be over dominant in the playoffs. They have 3 #1's and Blanton is heating up of late posting an era around 2.00 for august. The way Hamels and Oswalt are pitching I would take the top 3 Phillies starters over CC... Their bullpen has been excellent of late. Lidge has regained his 2008 form and no one wants to face Madson in the 8th. As soon as their lineup starts hitting to their capability this team will be scary.. Trust me if the Yankees make the world series they will be praying that they don't have to face the phillies.

Phillies. We're gonna beat the Yanks this year in the WS. Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt.

Go Phillies!

DUDE new yankee fan 14 i can name most of the yankee retired numbers ( not going to ) how ever i will tell your Thurman Munson was one of the greatest Cather's of his time i believe he only had one ever at the plate one year and that was because he was knocked unconscious and i can tell you that Thurman Munson died in a plane crash i can also tell you that the yankees still have Thurman Munsons locker in the new stadium and i don't think it has been touched since his death he was also the first yankee captain since Lou Gehrig who also died tragical young

Source(s): oh yeaah the yankees are much better right now there riding a 6 game winning streak have the mlb leader and wins a bad rotation right now two rookies i believe and aj burnette isnt pitching good either cc has been the only sure starter with andy gone and phill hughes coming up on his unknown innings limit and they have battled through injuries unlike the phillies not disrespect considering the phillies have had alot more injuries