Do you think that the BBC sitcom "Last of the Summer Wine" has run it's course?

Best Answer

I think it ran its course many years ago. The rot set in when Bill Owen died and they brought that numpty of a son of his in instead. It never worked and it didn't right up until the end. As for the description "Sitcom" I feel it should have been reclassified years ago as just a "Sit" - there was never any real comedy and just how many times did they expect us to watch someone going over a wall or hedge when the bike/pram/skateboard (etc) ran down the inevitable slope and came to an abrupt stop, throwing the occupant/s.

Although it was so funny (my brother liked it) I think it had because it had outlasted a lot of other good sitcoms. Its about time that there should be an end to it as its almost 40 yrs since it started and characters and people have changed over the years. Apart from the character that the man called Peter S (sorry forgot the rest of the name) played the other 2 actors had previously passed away. It was also funny when Nora Batty was in it and sadly the actress also passed away a few years ago

So yes its about time it comes to an end. But it will still be sad that it has to end. But life has to go on doesn't it?

• Joan

That's why they've cancelled it.

It was funny years ago when Compo, Clegg, Foggy, Ivy, Nora & Watty Batty, Wesley & Edi Pegden were all in it, but ehy are all dead except Clegg.

Incidentally, my daughter named 2 of her pet ferrets Compo and Foggy.

To be honest, I think it had run its course years ago, but no-one had the courage to cancel it.

It just wasn't the same without Compo.

Bizarrely, even though I never watched it I think it deserved to carry on as the ratings were still respectable.

it was never the same once the original cast started to leave the programe

i never watched it much but after the original cast started to leave it began to show its age

Yes. 20 years ago.