Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 10 years ago

Is there such thing as FREE Online Homeschooling for an 8th grader in North Carolina?

Please help, I live in Cumberland County.

Plus how does Online Homeschooling work?

Favorite Answer

Hi,

I have been online schooled for 2 years now beginning my third (grade 11). I took a free online school until grade 10 which was a really poor program, with lack of assistance, and the whole program was just really disorganized and undeveloped. However I moved to a different province, and began another program. There are fees and they are NOT cheap. Each text book (depends on course) costs $100-200 each. Plus there is a late fee, yearly fee ($1,200,$800, etc). But I must admit the program is much more organized, there are more courses available, the online system is better, and there are text books. I just finished 5 summer courses as well.

What i do I just call home school but I do have courses online too. How it works? Its much like regular school, but you do the work online or in text books/online. The program that you choose will provide details on how it works, since almost every program differs.

I suggest you visit a local school board in your area and ask if there are any programs for online school or home schooling. It is becoming very popular. If there are no such programs in your area which I doubt, then look online for a legit online school. And I suggest picking a program that involves full time assistance, text books, report cards, etc. They will usually have fees, but nothing is free.

So, I suggest you look your local area first. Good luck.

I looked at www.k12.com and connectionsacademy.com - unfortunately, free public school by both of these institutions is not offered in your state. both, however, offer private, on-line education. There may actually be some other on-line programs that are offered - I just do not know about them. keep looking at yahoo answers. That's how I learned about k12.com and I've just enrolled m y two sons age 11 and 12 in the program. This is what happened, I faxed in all of the required information and received a notice of acceptance. Following that, I received a year's worth of materials/books/art supplies,science supplies/ microscope,sand, seeds, etc. as well as a loaner computer, printer. This wednesday I will "meet" the boys teacher...they'll only have one teacher. I'm their coach which means I'll give them their daily lesson plan and assist them when needed but, they'll receive help from their teacher as well. With the free, public program, we will have to meet all of our state's requirements with regards to testing. Do not feel bad that North Carolina does not have an on-line program yet, I'm in Michigan and this is their first year doing it. Oops, I just realized a gaffe in all of my typing...you asked for a free online homeschool, not virtual school. Well, I'm too lazy to get rid of all of the information I just typed AND, it may help you in your search. Answers is still a good place to look. Even review a lot of posts under homeschool education. You may find what you're looking for.

I really think you would benefit from an actual school. You can learn at home, but you will be missing out on learning how to work in groups etc.

I'm almost finished with college now, and I can honestly say that the ability to collaborate with others is more important than any other skill I learned in school.

Yeah, I guess. Just make sure they are exposed to people with a lot of diverse opinions. It sounds weird, but having to work with difficult people is an important skill to have.

I worry when parents home-school because some parents might not be prepared for the commitment that a diverse education requires. I know a lot of parents get it right, but I'm still worried about the ones that over isolate their kids.

Yes some states offer free virtual to state residents, such as Florida. They charge for out of state residents. The Florida school awards a Florida diploma to those who complete the entire program.

@ jc how would he/she miss out on group projects if they decide to go to college school is NOT the only place to learn how to socialize and work in groups

and yes you can try k12 i believe or connections academy