dino asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 years ago

can aeroplanes reverse like cars?

• doug
    Favorite Answer

Mark K is right, and I can elaborate.

In the air, no fixed wing airplane can reverse. On the ground, however, different techniques are used to reverse:

1. For light aircraft, the engine is stopped and a pilot outside pushes on the wing while a pilot inside controls the rudders based on verbal commands from the outside pilot.

2. For light aircraft, a single pilot can attach a tow bar to the nosewheel and push/steer the airplane backwards.

3. For heavy aircraft, the usual way to reverse is to coordinate a "tug" whose operator controls the aircraft's movement. This procedure is called a "pushback".

4. And again, some aircraft with thrust reverser of some sort can reverse on their own power. This procedure is called a "powerback".

Most turboprops can reverse pitch the blades and back up. I have done this many times in a C-130. In the air this ability is mechanically prohibited because of the dramatic loss of aircraft control that can take place. Other ways I have backed up in an aircraft was an inadvertent vertical stall (nose straight up) in a T-38 and we backed up (fell backward that is) until we could regain control (I found out why it was a prohibited maneuver) and another time I backed up was in a Cessna 150 when I slowed to just above stall speed and was flying into a faster headwind I was actually flying backward in relation to the ground.

The only aircraft that I am aware of that are designed to fly backward are helicopters, the Harrier and the V-22 in helicopter mode. There are probably some other test aircraft designed to do the same thing. Over all backward flight is really meaningless and difficult to do. Backward taxing, like we did in the C-130 was very useful and practical.

Source(s): Retired USAF pilot

Technically extremely some airplanes can pass in opposite on the floor, it is basically a remember of redirecting the thrust. Jets have thrust reversers which do exactly that, and props can replace the pitch of the blades so as that they push as a replace of pull. We subsidized our C-a hundred thirty into and out of many parking places without outdoors help different than a spotter.

• Scouse

helicopters and the BAC Harrier the latter with some difficulty but the pilot can do it.That is in the air. On the ground most airliners can but if you seee them leaving the terminal building they will be being pushed by a "tug" i think this is because the blast from the jet engines woulld damage the building if used there

There is something called a powerback with commercial jet aircraft where they activate their thrust reversers and they actually reverse the aircraft, but this isn't used very often because it uses up alot of fuel and annoys the ground crew workers.

Most airliners and military planes can back up on the ground with reverse thrust (and can use them on landing to shorten the roll.) Only plane I know that can fly backwards is the Harrier.

Don't forget the GR8 Harrier vertical take off - that can reverse when airborne albeit modestly

Source(s): Airshows - Farnborough

hey there,yes aircarft can reverse.only big aircraft operated by gas turbine engine and turbo prop aircarfts can do r

Not in the air, no. Many can back up on the ground.

Yes they can, since 1982 when aerocleptic reversal was invented, it has since revolutionised air travel. In fact, the three point turn is generally considered by pilots to be the most effective way of performing a 180 degree direction change while in flight.