R & S Regulars, what does the term 'Crypto Jew' mean? Is it a real thing?

It came up in this question:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ai...

I am not even sure what the dude is talking about...I googled it & came up with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto-Judaism

Can anybody explain, is this a real thing?

@ הבת שלנו ששמה חוה עליה נולד

Why I ask if its real? Not everything I've learned about on answers or Wiki is...so I am seeing what other opinions are on here.

It has happened in the past, then I've been set straight by my contacts that I've fallen for a line of bull....since this was something I'd never heard of before...I thought 2nd, 3rd, etc, opinions were called for.

Favorite Answer

First consider the source.The fool is an admitted antisemitic bigot.In their warped world "crypto Jews" are Gentiles supporting some cause that the bigots see as Jewish.They can also be Jews pretending to be another religion to spread their evil "Jewish and Zionist" ideas.

The only place it's a "real thing" is in the deluded minds of bigots.

America was a hotbed of eugenics in the early 20th century,so was most of Europe.It was advocated by many scientists but certainly not all.And science learned from its mistake.The bunny is still a fool and bigot.

Source(s): Rational thought

Yep. the answers about the Maranos (a Portugese word for pig; so double insult) is true. There's some evidence that Christopher Columbus was in fact, a) Portugese not Italian, and a b) a crypto-Jew. Read Codex 632 by Dos Santos, a fabulous read.

When I was researching for my script "Mitzvah on the Mesa" produced by the Wells Fargo Radio theater, there were oral histories from families that said things like, "We lit a pair of candels every Friday night, I did it because my mom did it, because her mom did it, but we never knew why until we did a geneology, and found out our ancestors were Jews."

Mitzvah is about Solomon Bibo, a Jewish trader who marries into the Acoma Pueblo and eventually become cacique (cheif). If you go to the Acoma Museum at the Pueblo, you can still see Solomon's menorah.

Jews have often been forcibly converted. It makes sense to me that many of those would keep up their Jewish faith in secret whilst nominally adhering to the dominant culture's religion.

I can't claim to have much knowledge of the subject, but I would guess that the Jews of the diaspora have frequently been forced to practice in secret--thus, apparently, the term 'crypto Judaism'.

• ?

My ancestors were Crypto-Jews, also known as Marranos. I don't know why you are puzzled about it being a "real thing" (mind you, I didn't read the thread link you posted). When many of the Sephardim (Sephardic Jews) emmigrated from Spain and settled in the New World, they still practiced Judaism. However, when the Catholic Church began Inquisitions in the New World, the Crypto-Jews were forced to practice Judaism secretly for fear of being killed (some were burned alive in what were called "autos-de-fe."). Hence, the name Crypto ("Secret") Jews. It is not that they chose to secretly practice Judaism while outwardly professing Christianity. It's that they were *forced* to for fear of their lives.

***

Oh, I see, Toke Lover. I was just curious as to why you doubted. Thanks for clarifying.

• I guess since the Rockefellers figure into so many conspiracy theories, yet they are the very embodiment of White Anglo Saxon Protestant that most conspirady theorists love, then the theorists must, sans evidence, concoct that they are secretly Jewish.

I wonder if someone might accuse an African American who self identifies as being a Christian of secretly being a Muslim as well?

It is based on the thesis that many who claim to be Jewish are not really from the tribe of Judah, one of the 12 tribes of Israel.

All Jews are Israelites but not all Israelites are Jews. After all, it is only 1 tribe.

I don't always agree with the Black Rabbit although I really like some of his qu's.

I have no idea what a "crypto-jew" is though, it sounds like a bad character from a '50s "future" novel.

...

((((Cantheist))))

..

It is a phrase used by a Jew-hater. Probably one who will never know the touch of a woman.

Sounds like a Jewish superhero.

LOL @ A shark, it does