Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 9 years ago

polysystic ovarie syndrome any help here ?

anyone got any information about this?

whats the symptoms?

i think i might have it and i have asked a few people who also think i may have it.

i get extremly irregular periods i can go about 4 months or so without having one.

i get bad stomach pains not sure if thats related ?

ehm and btw there is 0% chance im pregnant im definetly not the only thing i dont have is excess body hair i get blonde hairs on my lower back but thats it and even then i think most people have that i have friends with more hair.

any help??

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Pandaa! - For a great deal of info, do a computer Google search for: PCOS fact sheet

PCOS -Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

What causes PCOS?

No one knows for sure. PCOS runs in families, and researchers are studying whether specific genes are related to the condition. PCOS is more common in women who are obese and who have high insulin levels.

How is it diagnosed?

Diagnosing PCOS involves several steps. First, a clinician will take a detailed medical history about the woman’s menstrual cycle and reproductive events and perform a physical exam. Second, if the clinician suspects PCOS, he or she may recommend blood tests to measure hormone levels.

How is PCOS treated?

Although no cure exists, PCOS can be treated in several ways, often with excellent results. Clinicians often prescribe the birth control pill to reduce symptoms. Birth control pills help make menstrual periods more regular, reduce male hormone levels to normal, help clear acne, and usually slow the growth of excess hair and make it lighter and less coarse. Birth control pills also protect against cancer of the uterus, which may be a long-term health consequence of untreated PCOS.

Regular exercise and a low-calorie diet can help restore a healthy weight and reduce the symptoms of PCOS. Topical treatments can help reduce acne. Excess hair can be treated with medicines, bleaching, waxing, shaving, hair removal creams, electrolysis (use of small amounts of electric current to remove hair) or laser therapy. Special medicines, such as those that make the body more sensitive to insulin, may also help some women.

For women with PCOS who are want to become pregnant and are having trouble becoming pregnant, medicines are available to help cause ovulation, restore normal menstrual cycles, and improve the chances of pregnancy. For more information about PCOS and available treatments, speak with you clinician.

For more information, you may contact the following organizations:

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)

1-800-410-ACOG (2264)

http://www.acog.org

Center for Young Women

.......................................................................................................................................................

Smith College Health Services // Northampton, Massachusetts 01063 // (413) 585-2800

Source(s): a medical professional
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.