l z asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 10 years ago

Spider identification?

Does anyone know what this spider might be? http://yfrog.com/mispiderkj

I live in the UK and am fairly sure it's not an indigenous species! It was found dead (thankfully) in an outbuilding in my friend's garden

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

It is one of the mygalomorph spiders (commonly called tarantulas) often kept as pets. Only one species, Atypus affinis, lives in Britain, but it is significantly smaller than the one shown in your picture which means that yours is (or rather was) kept in captivity.

Google brown recluse spiders to see pictures of them. I've been thinking quite a bit about brown recluse spiders myself today and have decided to order some glue traps to place around my house to trap any spiders that may be present. Then I can either reassure myself that I don't have the brown recluse or I can have the information I need to try to rid my house of a dangerous pest. And despite being a bio teacher, I am terrified of spiders, too. I'd rather see a snake or a mouse in my room any day.

• Todd

That was a tarantula of the genus Theraphosa, possibly a Goliath Birdeater. They are popular in the pet trade because they are the largest spiders on earth.

That is a species of tarantula. There are over 800 species so I can't identify it.

• Mick W

spiders have 8 legs this has 10.

• A!

im thinking that its a chilean rose,and it could be just the exoskeleton that was moulted,check to see if it is hollow; spiders like this shed there "skin" regularly throughout their lives to grow bigger

It's a tarantula. it looks like the kind commonly kept as a pet. I am 97.89% sure it was someones pet and it died and they put it there or something.

ew ew ew.... Good thing it is dead. Might be a garden orb weaving.

eek!!