Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jessica asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

becoming fit and healthy?

im joining the navy in around 7-8 months, have not started training nor been following a diet as such.

i need to get level 6.7 on the beep test, 10 pushups and 25 situps. quite easy i know for someone whos fit.

if i start following a diet and work up to 30 minutes jump rope (to start off with) and then add running and strength training will i be able to easily pass these requirmnents?

• Nate

yes, and the good news is you have plenty of time.

I'm joining the Marine Corps in June so I know what you are talking about and what your shooting for may not be enough. So much depends on your PT score and did you know if your overweight after you enlist your meals are limited and you cannot be promoted until your back within weight? You won't even have access to many jobs if you cannot perform well in PT. (all this is Marine information but being that the Marines are a division of the navy I wouldn't expect much different).

The good news is you have plenty of time, but get rid of that work up to thirty minutes junk. You need to start running (at least a little) NOW! Push yourself HARD, jump rope isn't a skill required in the military so I would forget about that. You don't need a trainer, you know what you need to do to. Practice pushups and situps EVERY DAY, run even just a little ways to start EVERY DAY, get in the pool and swim EVERY DAY. Yes, your elbows will hurt, your knees will hurt, your head will hurt, but that will all go away and you will put yourself so much further ahead in the Navy!

My buddy and I just had a conversation about this the other day, I was talking about my insane requirements for at 10 at OCS. He asked why people always go so out of shape if the requirements were that tough and I told him that it was really stupid to do that since so much of your military career rides on PT!!!!

Get motivated, don't shoot for a 6.7 shoot for a 9.7! you've got plenty of time and things won't get any easier once your in if you don't get into shape NOW.

Source(s): GOOD LUCK!!!

get a personal trainer! easy :L