Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

getting contacts for the first time..what can i expect..?

I've had glasses for roughly 3 years. My vision has gotten progressively worse and i'm only 18, so chances that my vision will get even worse is still high.

I'm planning on getting laser eye surgery when i'm 21, but right now glasses are irritating me to no avail.. I scheduled my eye exam for September 2nd, and heard it was $60-$150..is this the price for JUST the exam or for the entire process (except actually buying contacts) The receptionist said something about contact trials for a week, what exactly does that entail?

1) I have trouble putting eye drops in my eyes (people have to hold my lid open) is it easier to put contacts in? Or am I going to have a lot of trouble?

2) How does it actually feel to have something in your eyes 24/7?

3) Hows you're experience with contacts? Is it more irritating having contacts or glasses for you personally?

4) What's so different from a 'glasses' eye exam and a 'contacts' eye exam?

Favorite Answer

I know $60 to $150 may seem expensive to you as this is just the cost of the exam itself. The price to buy glasses or boxes of contact lenses are in addition to that.

If you have never had contact lenses before, you will be given a pair of trial lenses first. This pair of lenses are what the doctor thinks will be best for you based on your Rx, your lifestyle, and your eyes. They will look at the contacts to make sure they fit correctly and are healthy for your eyes. Then you will be taught how to put them in, take them out, clean them, take care of them, and all the do's and don'ts. You will then wear those trials for one week, and then come back to see the doctor wearing the contacts. Again, they will check to make sure they fit right, and also make sure that you liked them! If everything is okay, then you are good to go to order as many boxes as you wish. If something is wrong, then you will try a different pair of contacts for another week, and keep repeating the process until you find a lens that works. Note that once you pay for the contact lens evaluation, that price covers all your trial lenses -- no matter how many you have to try.

1) Yes, you most likely will have some trouble getting them in and out to start with -- everyone does. But everyone is a little different on how quickly it becomes easier. Typically, girls progress faster than guys from the sheer fact that most girls fuss with their eyes with makeup. I remember the first time I got contacts when I was 14. The doctor puts them in your eye for you the first time, so they can look at them. I had a very difficult time on my own keeping my eyes open enough to get the contact lenses in. Now ... I can touch my own open eye and not even feel the need to blink. You just plain get better with it over time.

2) For the first few days, you will feel the contact lens in your eyes. It is not painful or uncomfortable, but it just feels weird. After about a week, you won't feel anything at all in your eyes because your eyes basically adapt to them.

3) I always had dry eye at night with my contact lenses. I just dealt with it by putting eye drops in in the evening when my eyes felt dry. But other than that, I never had a problem with my contacts. To me, contacts and glasses are two different ballparks with their own pros and cons, so I guess I can't say I can compare them. I did prefer to wear my conact lenses though.

4) A glasses eye exam and a contact eye exam to two totally separate things. A glasses eye exam will include a health examination of your eyes, a refraction (where they get the numbers for your glasses prescription), and other tests (to check that your eyes are working together as a team, eye muscles, eye tracking, etc etc). But a contact lens exam ONLY consists of checking the contact lenses to make sure they fit, and/or to see if you need a tweak in the prescription. You can do these two exams separate or you can do them on the same day. Contact prescriptions are good for only 1 year by law, whereas glasses prescriptions are good for 2 years. So often, you'll do the glasses every 2 years and the contacts every year. Or sooner if you feel your prescription has changed.

Source(s): I am an optometry intern and wore contacts for many years.

1)If you have trouble putting drops in, you'll have some trouble with contacts. It will get better with time.

2)You really can't tell that they're in your eye. If you have dry eyes then they might be irritating. You shouldn't have to wear them 24/7.

3)I had trouble getting them in for about a week. I prefer gaving contacts when I leave home because I don't have to keep up with my glasses.

4)"Glasses" exams are very much the same as "contacts" exams. When you get your trial pair they might make you stay until you can get them in on your own.

Good luck!

Source(s): 3 year contact wearer.

I recently got my contacts too so I will tell you my experience 1) I have the same thing as you people have to hold my eyes to put in drops 2. The first time it's hard to put in your contacts because your eyes arent used to it so you keep blinking! (I hated that at first)..the first few times i had trouble! my contacts fell u had to constantly clean them. So if you will wear them everyday you will get used to it but if you use them once in a while you will have some problems like me i dont use them everyday only sometimes..

2)At first it will feels weird but you get used to it I felt my eye a bit itchy i felt my contacts move a little my contacts dont get dry so i have no problem i found out i had sensitive eyes so at first my doctor gave me reg. contacts they irritated me so i had to get sensitive 1's which are alot better! there softer! & more expensive! so it basically is better i feel like theirs nothin in my eyes! i see much better than with glasses..

3)

You will (quite often) get them at present except you may have an exotic prescription and they're out of inventory, however there's a dressed in time table whilst you first get contacts. You will best be allowed to put on them for a couple of hours an afternoon till your eyes get used to them--the time raises till in a couple of weeks you'll be able to put on all of them day. Apart from that, the one factor to mention is to preserve them blank, and regularly have blank fingers whilst you manage the lenses.