Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to jailbreak a iPod touch 3g 4.0.2?

Hi, I just bought a new iPod touch 3rd gen, 32gb, and its now v. 4.0.2, now i didn't have SHSH server or any of that installed perviously, I don't care if I have to downgrade or anything I would just like to have a clean jail broken iPod touch. Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Since the 4.0.2 firmware patches the PDF exploit used by Jailbreakme to jailbreak iDevices through Safari, you will not longer be able to jailbreak using Jailbreakme. You will need to jailbreak your iPod using a program that you can download from the internet.

There are quite a few guides around the internet to jailbreak the 4.0.2 firmware. Here is one of them:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.0.2-with...

If you already have redsn0w on your PC, make sure you are running the version 0.9.5b5-5.

I hope this helps!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually it is possible to jailbreak 4.0.2 using redsn0w but it's complicated. You can downgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak by going to jailbreakme.com. To downgrade you can go to felixbruns.de, click iPod firmwares, click the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad dropdown, scroll to your current generation and what software you would like to download, click the download button and select where you want to save it to. Notice you may need to change it from a zip file to a ipsw file before you click save. So click save, and let it download. Once it's done, connect your iPod, open iTunes and make sure your iPod gets backed up before you continue. Find you iPod on the left side of the screen, click, then you press and hold the shift key, click restore, then browse to where you saved the firmware you just downloaded, then click ok or whatever at the bottom and let it go through the downgrading. Then your done and you just have to restore your apps and stuff from the backup then you are ready to go to jailbreakme.com.

Make sure that you select the 4.0 software for your specific device and generation otherwise it will not work.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ALL of the other answers are WRONG!!!

The MC models are currently unjailbreakable for iOS 4.0.2! Since you have a new iPod Touch, it should be the MC model (you can check for yourself in Settings, General, About, and look for the model). Otherwise redsn0w would work.

Since you have never saved your SHSH blobs to Cydia's server, it is impossible to downgrade to 4.0! Apple stopped signing the iOS 4.0 about a week after 4.0.2 came out!

Source(s): i know all about this shiznit
  • 1 decade ago

Sadly, jailbreak for 4.0.2 isn't out yet so here's how to downgrade your iPod Touch to 4.0 or any other firmware

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvU_cReQYjQ&feature...

Jailbreaking is cool, I'm glad you're doing it haha. Jailbreak for 4.0 is really easy

>Visit www.jailbreakme.com or www.jailbreakme.modmyi.com

>Slide the arrow that says "slide to jailbreak"

>This installs Cydia and you're jailbroke! ;)

Isn't that easy? Haha. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Nothing for 4.0.2 as of yet, but if you can downgrade your iPod to 4.0.1 or 4.0 you can use www.jailbreakme.com to jailbreak your iPod Touch.

• 5 years ago

do no longer do it, it is not worth it. im unlikely to furnish you suggestion on a thank you to do it because of the fact that is going to completely eff up your fone. my boyfriend did it to his and it grew to become into continuously deleting his phonebook and photos, and he had to reset it like 4 circumstances till now he finally have been given the thought that it is not worth it. && that is unlawful, and in case you get caught you would be high-quality like massive time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.