Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Beta With Others in 26 Gallon Tank?

I have a beta and just put it in a tank with mollies tetras and hatchet fish. All of these fish are healthy, fast swimming, community fish. But what I'm wondering is will it nip at the other fish? My friend did this with a similar tank setup and it has never once bit another fish. I just want a second opinion of if I should keep it in or not?

Your betta is actually more likely to be beaten up by the Mollies or nipped by some types of tetra. They are all faster swimming fish, so as long as there is lots of space they will just dart away if the betta gets aggressive.

But chances are they will be fine together in a decent size tank like that, just make sure the betta has some cover, like tall plants, in a calm area of the tank.

Ian

Beta fish are very territorial fish. I am surprised to hear that your friends situation worked. Placing a Beta with a bunch of other fish usually will cause it to stress out beyond belief and it will attack the other fish or be attacked by the other fish. I would not recommend it

That may actually stress your betta.

Bettas dont like currents or other fast moving fish, and mollies and tetras are actually big fin nippers.You dont have to worry about him nipping, but you have to worry about him getting nipped.

They swim too fast for him to nip them but they may nip him.

Source(s): 60 years of raising, breeding and showing tropical fresh water fish