Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 10 years ago

What type of connective tissue are the tendons and silverskin, how should they be dealt with?

You have just received a chuck sub-primal from purchasing. The chef wants you to fabricate the meat for two different dishes. He is producing a beef stew and a braised Yankee Pot Roast. As you cut the meat, you notice several tendons in the meat and some silverskin.

Favorite Answer

The tendons are found at the end of long muscles and connect the muscle to bone.

The silver is what is between separate muscles. I could not find a reference for that.

Remove all the silver as it makes the meat gamey, especially if its venison :)

The tendons are gristly. Don't include it in your professional dishes. Sometimes when we get done cutting out all the junk, we end up having to roll the meat and tie it into a roast.

Dogs love to eat tendons and silver :) I usually cook the tendons in my dishes and remove it for them before serving. It does not impart a bad flavor like the silver. LOL, that was probably TMI

A question for you... are you using yahoo answers to do culinary homework? Not criticizing, Why not... many perspectives right? I cook AND happen to love to talk about food!

Silverskin is elastin, and tendons are elastin and collagen.

Elastin WILL NOT EVER break down by cooking, and if the meat is being fabricated for restaurant production it should be removed ( no one likes eating rubber bands) but if you are breaking down a whole primal or sub for say a butcher shop or other resale you may leave them on.

Collagen turns into gelatin when it is cooked, so if you are breaking down a chuck, all of the tendons and bones should be saved for making stock.

Also, silverskin doesn't impart flavor. It just cannot be chewed, and doesn't break down during cooking. Any venison purchased for use in a restaurant is farm raised, I have never tasted gamey elk, deer, antelope from a farm. Animals dont have a taste, they taste like what they eat. Terrior if you will.