Is it illegal to download torrent? websites like btjunkie and piratebay are legal to use?

I just wonder whether using bit torrent is legal or not

Favorite Answer

Depends.

I recommend a VPN connection like Ipredator

https://www.ipredator.se/

I don't use it but a VPN will offer you the peace of mind if in your country they sue you for every penny you have.

By the way you can use private torrent sites (still can be insecure) or sites like http://scenereleases.info/

The sites you mention are LEGAL to use, browse, the torrents also (no one has copyright of a torrent file but that file leads to a centralized system called a tracker which in turn connects you to the users that have the file you are interested in.

Depdends if those file are legal or not.

Usually the copyright owners go after the tracker but that is just idiotic since those files are just text files.

For some time they also go after plain old people in the US, UK, Spain.

They do this with the help of your ISP otherwise they can't find you. There were cases in which an ISP refused to give up data on it's clients, now I am not so sure they are willing to fight for their clients anymore.

But with a VPN, or a seedbox or just sites like the one above are there to fix this attempt to censor the internet.

Yes, it is illegal. The person who uploaded it made an illegal duplication. And the download-er would be in possession of an illegal copy. What will most likely happen is your internet provider will give you a warning and if you continue to use these sites they will eventually cancel your service. If I was the download-er, I would figure out how to download, safe and smart.

Yes, it is illegal for and downloading of any torrents AND using those sites.

torrents are not legal but the content downloaded is