What colleges/universities will accept an unweighted 2.8 gpa and a weighted 3.4?

I just started my senior year of high school and it's getting closer to college applications time. I was just wondering which school could I apply to (reaches, safeties, and matches).

My Stats:

FBLA member

African American Culture Club

Spanish Club

student council president

president/founder of my school's fashion club

dancer for 6 years

ran track for 1 year

over 500 community service hours

orchestra for 4 years

chorus for 1

haven't taken my SAT yet but I'm expecting a high score

I'm a NC resident but I want to go to school in New York or DC

I'm considering Spelman College, Fashion Institute of Technology, Howard University, Syracuse University, Unc greensboro, Unc wilmington, unc charlotte and chapel hill, NYU and a few others. I just wanted to know some oppinions on other schools and these.

Thanks a bunch. : )

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, most schools do not take a weighted GPA into heavy consideration because a weighted GPA is calculated differently at each school. Your unweighted GPA is what counts the most and a 2.8 does not make you very competitive. While I am not too familiar with the NC schools you listed, all of the others are considered very competitive especially Howard, Syracuse and NYU which are ranked in the top 100 universities in the country by US News World & Report. Your extracurriculars are on the impressive side but without a high SAT score to offset the low GPA it is hard to tell how competitive you will be. If you can break at least 2000 out of 2400 on the SATs, get great recommendations and write a stellar essay, your reach schools may become a possibility. Your intended major is a determinant as well.

For example, at Howard University it is more competitive to apply to the School of Communications or School of Business than the College of Arts and Sciences. If you are concerned about your GPA and its impact on your application, consider applying for a less competitive program at your dream school and later transferring to the major of your choice. I can only provide a more detailed perspective for Howard University, my alma mater, but I remember that the fashion merchandising program is in the College of Arts and Sciences and after two years of study you have the option of completing two years at FIT to supplement your education. If you can pull out all the stops in the SAT area then this might be something you would want to consider.

Also, some awards and additional tests could help. Take some SAT subject tests in areas you excel in to supplement your SAT score and for your community service, apply for the president's volunteer service award. 100 hours completed in one year qualifies you for the bronze award if I remember correctly. Take AP tests, and score at least a 4. The goal is to show admissions that you're a bright kid and your GPA is not representative of your potential.

Sounds like you're interested in the arts, best of luck!

Source(s): US News World & Report

Your grades may hold you back a bit. You don't state what you wish your degree to be in. As an out of state applicant you will face more challenges. You should have already taken your ACT or SAT. Talk to your counselor and sign up now. Those scores must accompany your application packet. Are you expecting any scholarships? Or do you have family resources for being an 'out of state' student tuition is often a great deal higher. You can check with the colleges online to see the tuition and fees. What about living expenses? (dorms?)

Take time now to check out your options. Good luck.

you need a 3.0 unweighted gpa. Get that and you'll be fine.

P.S. a letter from your senator or governor can help, greatly. You have time give them a call or write a letter. Don't for get to include your bribe.