Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Nigel asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How Long is a cat's memory span?

Update:

LOL turkey man!!!!!!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's been tested that cats have a memmory span of 3 years, because i chopped off my cat's tail 3 years ago and it still wants to rip my balls off.

Source(s): lool
  • ogburn
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Cat Memory Span

• 1 decade ago

Apparently without repetition a cat's memory averages about 16 hours (while dogs are at 5 minutes). Mind you this is only if the situation interested them. So I think attention span and memory go hand in hand in this case. But when it comes to more repeated tasks it can be a lifetime. Just like "kneading", some cats carry that through their whole lives.

• 1 decade ago

Tests conducted at the University of Michigan and the Department of Animal Behaviour at the American Museum of Natural History have concluded that while canine memory last no more than 5 minutes, a cat's recall can last as long as 16 hours, exceeding even that of monkeys and orangutans. Though cats have a memory that can be up to 200 times more retentive than a dog's, they will only remember what they consider to be useful, and therefore their memory can be quite selective.

The article "Do Cats Have Intelligence" has lots more information that you might find interesting.

http://www.messybeast.com/intelligence.htm

Source(s): I looked on google. And there was a question asked and answered about 3 years ago. i copied and pasted. :)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laila
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Well there's long-term memory and short-term memory. Most animals, cats included, will remember important/traumatic events their entire lives.

However, for short-term memory cats can go for 16 hours. That's not too bad.

• TX Mom
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

We went overseas for 8 weeks, and our cat was super happy to see us when we got home. She def remembered us.

tx mom

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

7 years, 342 days, 16 hours, 4 mins and 7 seconds, exactly, they either die or go crazy. Guess you will just have to wait.....

• 1 decade ago

cats can remember pretty

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.