Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What type of husky would you recommend for a first time dog owner?

I've always wanted a Husky all my life, only problem is I don't know which breed to get. I'm interested in Siberian husky, but people say there dangerous. Any thoughts?

• Favorite Answer

First of all, "husky" isnt a breed, it is the name of sled dog breeds.\

I have to say that Siberian Huskies are gorgeous, yes and intelligent, HOWEVER, they are NOT for first time owners. Siberian Huskies being dangerous? That is a myth, i volunteer at a no kil shelter and there is a deaf siberian huksy ther and is is very calm and obidient. He is playful and just plan awesome.

Some huskies breeds that I am familiar with are the Siberian Husky that originates from Russia.

siberian husky :http://tidyyourdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/...

The Alaskan Malamute is larger than the Siberian Husky and it originates from Alaska.

alaskan malamute: http://www.pluspets.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12...

There is also the

Green Land dog: http://www.greatdogsite.com/admin/uploaded_files/1...

Mackenzie River Husky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MackenzieRiverHu...

Labrador Husky (it is not a mix of a labrador and a husky, it originates from Canada) (no picture..)

You may also be interested in the Seppala Siberian Sleddog and the Samoyed and the Tamaskan Dog.

However if you are TRULY considering the Siberian Husky as your next dog, then TRAINING AND SOCIALIZATION IS A MUST! You have to start early, or else you will have behavioral problems and you will regret it.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK :)

Source(s): my thoughts

The Siberian Husky is fine for first time owners. They are great dogs. Alaskan Klee Kais are also really good for novice owners.

• Andy

1.Whoever told you their dangerous is stupid.

2.There is only one type of husky,and it's Siberian.Other dogs are referred to as huskies but are not.

3.Siberian huskies are not for first time dog owners,as they require much more stimulation, space, and experience than most other breeds.They are incredibly intelligent and need a very very secure area to live in and alost constant stimulation to keep their sharp minds active.I really wouldn't recommned one if you are a first time dog owner.

I too have always wanted a siberian husky and last year I got my first one and 2 months ago my second one. They are people dogs, my oldest one was a little scared around people at first, i don't think she was socialized with people much, but we took her to puppy class which helped her overcome that. My new little boy is just a people lover already, loves to lick everyone. So as for being dangerous, I don't think so. As long as they get socialized, which is true for any dog, they are not dangerous. Destructive, yes they LOVE to chew, anything and everything. I get those beef bones they sell at pet stores which they love to chew on and busy bones are good too. This helps with the chewing. They are very energetic and love to run. They don't like the heat too well, during the summer, they like to stay in the ac or play in their doggy pool. And be prepared for the hair when they "blow" their coat twice a year, we went through that with our oldest for the first time right around when summer started, and wow it is a lot. But once you comb them out, your good to go till the next time. I do recommend going to obedience training with them, they can be stubborn but love to learn and get into trouble when bored, that's when they tend to get into things.

Source(s): I own 2 siberian huskies.

First Time dog? I wouldnt recommend a Husky but its up to you. I think the Siberians are the best, and dangerouse i havent heard. Destructive i have heard. This should help. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm

Huskies do not like to be left alone for large amounts of time. They need a lot of attention from either people or other dogs. And they are escape artists and should not be left alone unattended in a back yard (as they get out). Plus a bored husky is a destructive one...or one that gets out. I would invest in higher fences(at least 6 feet) and putting down large rock/concrete (or something down so they cannot dig out) around the base of the fence, this seems to be one of the few ways to keep them in a yard. But the best option would be to kennel the dog inside while unattended. Another thing, I personally do not consider running around in the backyard as exercise. Best form is to be walked (as you are doing), as this uses their muscles and their brain which will tire them more. I would suggest doing longer walks with her or hiring someone to do it while at work that way she gets enough exercise and attention while she remains inside in her kennel the rest of the day. Huskies really benefit from have a lot of attention and things to do.