Is my boyfriend racist?

First of all I am Cape Verdean. I look either Black or Hispanic to most people. He told me from the beginning that he was prejudice against Black Men. He said he had many negative experiences with them. He spent alot of time with them growing up in a black neighborhood and also there was a time he was a drug dealer and dealt predominately with Black people. He says many many many racist things about Black Men and at times definitely plays the racist very well. HOWEVER many many times he has given money to black men who beg even though we barely have money ourselves. He also has given away some nice clothes and an $80.00 pair of shoes to a black man who said he was trying to save money to buy some shoes as he only had sandals to wear. He has some old friends that are black males. He says these are the only few that he trusts. He doesn't seem to have ANYTHING against black women, on the contrary, he LOVES black women. Dated a few before me. I joke that he does that to get black men mad but seriously that isn't why he dates black women. I think that he hates the "stereotypical" black male or that he hates thugs but I don't know? Me and him have many conversations about it as I tend to get offended but to me it seems like he really isn't racist I don't know what do you think?

Blatalian Baby - Very funny!! Had me laughing.. Your dad and him could get along...

My boyfriend is White by the way (German and Irish)

• Jen M

From my point of view as someone who read this he does sound kind of racist. But that's necessarily true. A lot of people have that kind of attitude. He probably hates the thug type of black men, or the ignorant stereotypical type. He's probably just talking sh t.

• (:

Lmao. he sounds like my dad! He's italian and my mother is black british, but he hates black men. Why? I'm not sure, but he always has some racist sh*t to say about them. What race is your boyfriend? he sound double standard, just like my dad. They have double standards

Sounds to me like it is really misplaced self-hate. He probably hates anyone who reminds him of the person he used to be. Until he resolves that, he will continue to behave this way and make you uncomfortable. I don't know how you can handle being involved with someone who says hateful things about people who look just like you. I couldn't, but to each his own.

Sounds like he more hates the minority in the minority. The Black people that act like what people think black people from "the hood" act.

Don't worry dear, everyone is racist sometimes (not genuinely but can maybe have little rants) if he is dating you he obviously isn't a genuine racist - as for the stereotypical rough African American? A lot of them are into crime, and thievery (not all but a lot of them) so that is maybe why he has a bad experience with them. Also you never stated what race your boyfriend is? If he is black himself, then he definitely isn't racist lol.

Probably not racist, but prejudice

I dont no ask him...by the way thanx for the 2 points