Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do old people still use dial-up?

A considerable amount, anyways.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

DSL && Cable are not available everywhere.

=

Satellite is always expensive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting since most the people who I know that use dial up are not what I would call old, 30s. Most people who use dial up or other "cheaper" services either can't afford the higher speed connections or can't justify the cost since they only use it for email. But actually a lot of people who use dial up have no other choice. If you live in a remote area no company is going to lay 10 miles of fiber optics just for you. Cost far too much money

• 4 years ago

the 1st telephone numbers took the form of three letters and four or 5 numbers, e.g. PAV 1234 (That substitute may well be Pavilion). As there have been purely 10 numerals on the dial, it replaced into mandatory for 2 or 3 letters on the dial to be assigned to a minimum of one digit. Even at present, some companies request telephone numbers that spell out some function of their organization whilst the letters are study fairly of the numbers. as an occasion a plumber might desire to have 7586237 by way of dialing PLUMBER on the keypad you would be dialling the form 7586237. wish that facilitates.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dial up is really cheap and I'm pretty sure senior citizens do not get on the internet as much. Older people also do not understand what DSL and satellite requires.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Some old people don't see the need to change sometimes, citing something like "if it isn't broken, you don't need to get a new one". It could be costly for them, or they just don't think it matters too much.

• 1 decade ago

Their IRA's tanked and SSI doesn't bring in enough. Plus dial up is free in most places

• 1 decade ago

I think a lot of people don't like change and prefer to keep things simple.

• 1 decade ago

ummm hello theyre old waiting could help them pass time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.