Nicci asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How did Jack the Ripper kill his victims?

I'm writing a story, and a character in it becomes a murderer. I was thinking that he should follow something similar to Jack the Ripper, as he was never caught. The police in my story aren't very smart, but there is a kind of super detective and I don't want my character to be caught right away. I couldn't find any information on how the Ripper killed, so I thought I'd try here.

this is the link to my story http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6265452/1/Death_Note_H... it's a fan fiction that follows the Death Note anime/ manga. If you have any ideas how my character should go about this, all ideas are welcome! thanks :P

Favorite Answer

Jack the Ripper targeted prostitutes in England and killed them by cutting their throats in two places (a new twist to a common method of murder). After they were dead, he stripped and mutilated them by removing some of their organs (suggesting that he had some sort of surgical knowledge).

His method of killing them though wasn't the reason he wasn't caught. It was mostly a lack of forensic knowledge that made it hard for detectives to identify him. Also, he remained in the shadows and killed only at night in areas that were not densely populated. It was not due to lack of policework though; almost 300 subjects were interviewed, and criminal profiling was done in order to try to identify the kind of man he was, and a list of suspects was generated. There was some evidence, but it laid mostly in the letters that were sent to newspapers. Some were told to be fakes written by people who just wanted publicity, but three were very prominent and thought to be authentic: the "Dear Boss" letter, the "Saucy Jacky" and the "From Hell" letter.

As for ideas for your story, it was contemplated that reasons for Jack targeting prostitutes was linked to an experience as a child, but I'm not sure what, sorry. Maybe your character can target a specific group due to something that happened to him. Also, maybe come up with a signature for your killer (method of killing, method of displaying the body, letters, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Source(s): My brain...I love studying Jack the ripper.
  • fullem

Jack The Ripper Killings

• ?

Jack The Ripper Murders

They have actually identified who Jack the ripper was... Aaron Kosminski google him if you would like more information about him.

He always used a knife. The nature of the wounds that he caused looked like rough surgery, leading the police to suspect that The Ripper may have been a doctor.

jack the ripper slit his victims throat he killed 15 prostitutes there was rumors that he killed prostitutes known as hooker in america and there`s theory`s that jack the ripper was American