Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why does anybody still hold any faith in the two-party system?

My point is - why do people continue to vote for Democrats OR Republicans? Hasn't history proven that both parties are worthless and only serve the interests of those with the green?

Why aren't we electing a leader, like Ron Paul for example, who represents Main Street America? Who doesn't think we ought to "stop people from building a mosque" simply because they are Muslims? Who believes that private gun ownership is important? Who does not kiss big business behind?

Every year it just seems like we get someone who is crappier than the last guy. I think it all started with LBJ. Then we got Nixon. Then we got Ford. Then we got Carter. Then Reagan. Then HW Bush. Then Clinton. Then W. Now Obama. None of these people were or are worth a crap as a "man of the people." The President is supposed to be a man of the people. Not a man of "greed and deception."

Favorite Answer

Every President we have seems to be getting worse. They don't care about us. There's plenty of great men out there who could be President (Ralph Nader and Ron Paul) but will never get the chance because of a corrupt two party system.

Source(s): They speak as two but in reality they are one.

You raise many questions yet offer no solutions. So what makes you any different than the nine presidents you mentioned ? You mentioned two things Ron Paul would do if he were president, one I agree with, the other I completely disagree. A fifty percent believability record is not enough to make me vote for the guy, so already we're back to square one.

A two party system allows an alternative, when one fails as convincingly as 0bama's has, it offers an out that would not be available with a one party system. A three party system leaves too much opportunity for a despot to win over a more viable candidate. I say, get rid of the electoral college and let the popular vote determine the winner.

Representative democracy is flawed.

It is too easy for 1 or 2 parties to control all the power. I find it funny we call it a democracy because you have a small handful of people deciding what laws they want to create to control the masses.

You elect a representative in the hope that they will represent your wants and needs in parliament but most often than not, they don't because they have to toe the party line or do their "master's bidding", whoever they are.

Ron Paul is a very rare politician. He understands the reality of the current political system. There is a need to join 1 of the 2 main political parties out of convenience even though you may not agree 100% with the party's direction.

I believe the next evolution is self-government. We the people need to take a more active role to vote on issues instead of giving up our power to our representatives, who may be scum bags.

Some people call this Democracy 2.0 or Government 2.0.

• ?

I'm glad you asked this question. America for too long now has been the target of clever advertising companies working for the credit card industries portraying how they too can have it all just by swiping their card and subsequently racking up large amounts of debt. Credit cards are the SOS lifeline that should be there for emergencies ONLY! It is a common misconception that credit is our key to happiness and the more we spend the happier we feel. While there are those who suffered through unemployment and were forced in difficult times to put household expenses their cards, there are those who are reckless and irresponsible and only feed the addictive behavior that spending carelessly brings about. With the lack of regulation and the SEC doing what job it did have to regulate the markets, its no surprise that Wall Street took advantage of the subprime mortgage market and derivities and all the options and other market securities that brought about this crisis. You cant really blame the greedy for seeking more greed, it is a perpetual cycle and will only end when our laws and enforcement catch up to our moral creed.

The two party system is crap, there should be more choices! Each politician makes all kinds of promises, and tries to say they aren't part of the system but as soon as they are voted in they become a part of that very system and promises are forgotten and not kept. I love how the earmarks were supposed to be taken out of the bills...that didn't happen and from there promises continued to be broken. I have no faith that anyone else would be different either.

Ron Paul such a great name. Both Democrats and Republicans hate him so you know he is doing something right. I'm glad someone else has noticed him all the guy does is speak the truth and school every politicians he gets into a debate with

First if all Free2be Ron Paul is his own party. The right/left paradigm is false I have no idea why people still follow party lines. I'm not right or left I'm American.

Source(s): rEVOLution!!!

We have a 3 party system in the UK and its like getting 3 different fat % of milk, you get the same thing whatever you do, people are too stupid enough to see through that, i weep for the future.

As much as I would prefer an alternative, there will always be a two party system and I will take Republicans (the lesser of two evils) over Democrats any day. Unfortunately, the two parties have two much influence and to vote for someone else (third party) is a waste of a vote.

I don't think Ron Paul represents main street America.

With pigs eating our lunch and strawmen at the woodworks. No I don't believe in either party its all pretty much corporate self serving.