Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kevin
Lv 4
Kevin asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

'Particle in a box' probability problem?

I have learned how to determine the probability of finding a particle in an infinitely high box across a range i.e. from 0 to L/2. However I have been given a problem which asks me to determine the probability for a particle at exactly L/2.

I can't figure out how I can do this. Any suggestions?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You shouldn't be able to figure out how to do this, since the problem is ill posed without some interval of observation. The probability of finding it in an exact spot approaches zero.

• 1 decade ago

I vaguely remember your problem from one of my classes, but I don't recall the specifics. Anyway I can tell you the probability of locating a particle at a specific location is zero. I can't give you a math proof, but I can offer a thought experiment.

Suppose we have a circle of a uniform probability distribution with diameter D. As the probability of finding a particle, a point, anywhere within that circle is p(A) = A/A = 1.0000, the probability of finding that particle in a sub area a < A is p(a) = a/A = pi (d/2)^2//pi (D/2)^2 = (d/D)^2

As you can see, as a gets smaller and smaller, and we converge on a single dimensionaless point, d approaches zero. In which case p(point) = (0/D)^2 = 0

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

oldprof is i think of fake effect the subject. regularly those form of questions are no longer with regard to the possibility of the particle being in a particular place, yet extremely interior a undeniable area. that's Non-0

• fizixx
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's simple Wave Mechanics. One of the easiest problems in Quantum Mechanics.

Look it up on Google. There must be tons and tons of sites about this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take the original answer and divide by two

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.