Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Lee asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

what will it take to fix my stripped out second gear on my Yamaha venture?

1983 Yamaha Venture Royal 1200cc

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If that gear is indeed "stripped" and its not a bent shifter fork, the cases will have to be split, and the transmission will have to be taken apart, and the components will need replacing (whether its the actual gear, or the main/counter-shaft) if the splines are damaged. It's basically the whole motor coming apart, so on an 83' you might consider one of 3 things......

Either invest some time and money into a full motor rebuild (because seriously...ALL of the motor needs to come apart), and you might as well do a rebuild on it while the cases are split....no better time to replace every part, when its easily accsessable.

or.....

Replace the motor with a known good running replacement, with low miles, and using your old motor for parts.

or......

Selling it as-is and replacing it with a new bike.

It comes down to how badly you like this bike, I would guess.

Source(s): Honda & Suzuki Service Technician Graduate of MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) Phoenix Az. 25+ years riding experience
  • 1 decade ago

That's a very common problem with the 1200cc Ventures. It's not the gear that's stripped, it's the shift fork that's bent. Being bent, it doesn't fully engage the gear, allowing it to pop out when you apply power. The bad news is that to replace the shift fork, the engine has to come out of the frame and then disassembled. Disassembled as in everything, cases split, crankshaft removed, transmission shafts, everything. The shaft holding the shift forks is the very last component to come out. If you're mechanically inclined and have a shop manual and nothing to do this winter, you can do that. Or do as many people do, just admit defeat and accept the fact that you'll never see 2nd gear again and shift from 1st to 3rd. The other thing some people have done is to toss the 1200cc engine and replace it with a later model 1300cc engine ('86 and later I think). Fortunately by that time, Yamaha had noticed their screw up and rectified the bending fork problem.

• kaba
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

1985 Yamaha Venture Royale

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.