Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Am I on the right track for UCLA/ BERKELEY?!?!?

Incoming JUNIOR

9-12 UW GPA: 4.0

9-12 W GPA: 4.6

SAT- 1800 ( for diagnostic test...im taking SAT prep to raise it to 2100+)

Class Rank: Top 1%(1/664 but will drop to around 3-5)

Junior Year Schedule: AP Calc B/C, AP Physics, AP Bio, AP US, Spanish 3, Eng Honors

Senior Year: AP Stats, AP Environmental, AP Lit, AP Spanish, AP Psychology

AP Test taken so far: World History (4), Chemistry (4)

Awards: American Chemistry Society Chemistry Student of the Year for my school AND a medallion recipient for physical science at my school (award 3 medallions for 9-12)...yeah i dont have much

EXTRA-CURRICULARS

Volunteer:

Tutor Kids 250+ hrs for school teacher

Hospital 150+ hrs

Clubs:

Peer Assistance Leadership (shooting for 3 years by senior year)

CSF (2 year so far, 4 by senior)- secretary/treasurer maybe by senior year

KEY CLUB (2 so far, 4 by senior)- maybe a position by senior year

Bike Club (1 so far, 3 by senior)-Treasurer

Science Olympiad ( 1 so far, 3 by senior)

Science Bowl (1 so far, 3 by senior)- May have the chance to be "Captain"

Sports:

Cross Country JV (3 by senior)

Track JV (4 by senior)

(Even though I wasn't great I lost 40 lbs (200-158). Semi life changing...would that be a good essay to write for apps?)

Other:

Apply for Financial Aid?: yes

Intended Major: BIOCHEMISTRY (Pre-med path)

State (if domestic applicant): CA

Ethnicity: CHINESE

Gender: M

Income Bracket: Low IN-COME household

Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First Generation Applicant

Recommendations: 1 killer letter from my chemistry teacher

I'm open to any suggestions on how I should improve my resume for a good chance. I am strongly leaning towards UCLA because of its close proximity to my home in S. Cali and because its far that i dont have to technically live at home but close enough to get money/food from parents I know that I'm a sure for UCI (b/c ELC) and pretty solid for UCSD.

Favorite Answer

I would say there is a 1 million percent chance you'll get accepted into both. No doubt about that.

Ask Ms.Sun if you're still hesitant. She helped students with UC admissions. Good luck! Although you don't needa any. You should try for Stanford.

http://askmssun.com/about.htm

• ?

to no longer be all approximately grades, yet a three.0 sounds quite low for UCLA or Berkeley. besides, i think of you're able to in all likelihood attempt to get decrease back into kit academically (you pronounced you have been somewhat lazy, so attempt to do away with that 'bit'). From adventure, i've got additionally found out that this is greater powerful to be in contact in some issues and to dedicate your self to those issues as antagonistic to transforming into a member of another club on campus and somewhat being in contact. Honors/AP/IB training do wonders besides, yet you will could have the capacity to maintain up your grades via fact it does not look good in case you're taking all AP training yet unexpectedly your GPA plummets. wish that enables. good success, yet incredibly, attempt to paintings greater durable. colleges look greater at sophomore and junior 3 hundred and sixty 5 days.

you forgot the most important part. How much money have you saved? Can you afford this school? Dependent freshman can only borrow 5500 a YEAR in federal Stafford loans, and even if you are low income and qualify for federal grants, it certainly isn't going to cover the entire cost of this school. Certainly not for FOUR years. You need to work and save and make sure your parents are too. Dependent sophomores can only borrow up to 6500 a year.

• Adf

100% in UCLA and UCB.

try for Stanford.

you're already in, you have chances at harvard with those stats.

Yes you are!

Your GPA is good! :D