Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

whats the difference between american staffordshire terrier and APBT?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • nosaj
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The APBT was first registered in 1898 by the UKC.The AmStaff in 1936 by the AKC.Once the same breed,after the AKC recognition the divide began.

The APBT is a high energy,high drive,working breed.

The AmStaff has been bred mainly for the show ring since its renaming.Becoming a larger,blockier shell of its former self.

Here is a visual comparison: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=23545

Source(s): APBT owner
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The American Staffordshire terrier is a breed of medium-sized, short-coated dog whose early ancestors came from England.

The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is a medium-sized, solidly built, short coated dog whose early ancestors came from England.

• DSreg
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

One is recogised by the AKC, the other isn't.

I think some people will argue they are essentially the same breed. However, I think one is more "show" (AST) and the other more "work" (APBT).

"Pit bulls" are illegal in the UK where I live and American Staffordshires are lumped in with that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.