Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Would burglary insurance cover my loss?

So, I recently got my digital camera stolen from my open front porch. Would burglary insurance cover the loss? it was about $400 in 07

I'm thinking of getting a police report it happened yesterday. What do you think I should do?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you make a claim, it may very well increase your premium, especially due to the circumstances. Calculate if the amount you may receive is worth the increase in the cost of your insurance.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You should definitely get a police report...and make sure the police have your camera's serial number, so that they can run it against the pawn shop inventories and so it can be returned to you if they do locate it. Filing an insurance claim is your call, and I guess it would be just a matter of exactly what your policy states as to whether you're covered of not. One thing: A camera that cost $400 in 2007 is not going to be worth anything close to that now, and even if you have a low deductible...filing a claim (which will make your premiums go up) might end up costing you more in the long run than just paying for a new camera out of pocket. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

This isn't burglary, this is mysterious disappearance. Burglary is when they break in a window, bust open your door, otherwise damage the building to get into the house and steal stuff inside.

You leaving your camera out on the front porch, is more of a donation. Mysterious disappearance isn't covered - heck, it could have been a raccoon.

More to the point, your policy is going to have a deductible, and most likely the value of the camera is going to be under your deductible. Definately not worth filing a claim over.

I think you should put your valuables away, and not leave them on your open front porch.

Source(s): mom
  • 1 decade ago

There are many homeowners and renters policies (written by preferred carriers) that cover theft and/or mysterious disappearence. It's depends on your policy. Either way, your deductible will have to be applied and the claim will count against your claim record. Too many claims in a short period of time, example 3 claims in 4 years=cancellation with many companies.

I wouldn't even call my agent. I would make a police report, the camera may show up in a pawn shop later.

Source(s): Owner of an insurance and financial services agency. Over 21 years experience.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.