Did Sarah Palin's son buy his way out of jail time by joining the army?

Sarah Palin's speech today: I've been asked to speak as the mother of a soldier and I am proud of that distinction. Say what you want to say about me, but I raised a combat vet and you can't take that away from me." It was a reference to her son, Track, 20, who served a year long deployment in... show more Sarah Palin's speech today: I've been asked to speak as the mother of a soldier and I am proud of that distinction. Say what you want to say about me, but I raised a combat vet and you can't take that away from me." It was a reference to her son, Track, 20, who served a year long deployment in Iraq.

Track Palin was rumored to be involved in vandalizing 44 school buses in November of 2005, sent to Michigan to finish high school and his ticket out of trouble was going to be to enlist in the army. Track was only exonerated when a friend, Deryck Harris, who was arrested for the vandalism said Track wasn't involved. The other two minors were not caught.

Deryck Harris received 5 years probation, a $4,000 fine and did community service which is odd since the State of Alaska had passed a Bill in April 2005 which took the cap of $25,000 off of the amount that parents of minors who vandalize property would be forced to repay and made parents fully responsible to pay for the cost of damages to the property until such time as the minor child could continue to pay for the damages as an adult.

Deryck Harris paid only a $4,000 fine for his part in deflating 44 tires, breaking mirrors and disconnecting the engine block heaters on 110 buses in subzero weather. How much would 44 school bus tires cost? How much would 110 engine block heaters cost to repair? Would it be $4,000 if you were willing to say that your friend wasn't there even though your parents are, by law, responsible for the full cost of the criminal vandalism.

Do you think we should add Track's strange exoneration to the list of Palin family oddities? Yes, I'm aware that Track actually did serve in Iraq for a year and yes I salute him for that. No, I'm not a Liberal who is scared to death of Sarah Palin. No, she isn't a private citizen and no, her kids aren't off limits because she makes sure they're not. Let the games begin.
39 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
The above damages don't include the cost of the school system being shut down for the repair of the buses which had to be substantial. I just think this kid and his family bought their way out of a bad situation by helping Palin's son.