Can you just the seasonal flu vaccine by itself.?

I just want the seasonal flu version by itself.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm assuming you are asking if you can get the seasonal flu vaccine without the H1N1 ("swine flu" from last year). The answer is no. This year, the "swine flu" H1N1 is part of the seasonal flu vaccine.

"The 2010-2011 seasonal influenza vaccine includes three strains; an A (H1N1) that is the same strain that is the cause of the pandemic that began in 2009, an A (H3N2) that is different than last year’s seasonal vaccine and a B strain that is the same as last year’s formulation."

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Guidance... (7th bullet point)

• 1 decade ago

What constitutes the seasonal influenza vaccine changes from year to year. It is always two strains of influenza A and one of influenza B.

All influenza vaccines are made in an identical fashion. The only difference is the strain used.

Edit: Actually, there is an H1N1 strain in pretty much every year, given that this is the most common serotype. The atypical strain that was widespread last summer is included.

Edit: Ignore the lying antivaxxer. The influenza vaccine works. Numerous studies have shown this. Additionally, no influenza vaccine is experimental at this point.

• 1 decade ago

Yes - it changes each year according to which strains appear to be the most active for the season. Getting a seasonal flu vaccine each year is a very good idea.

• 1 decade ago

there is no seasonal flu vaccine - the vaccine changes according to which strain is likely to infect the most people with the most severe symptoms - there are general seasonal flu shots like tamiflu that may cover some strains but not all

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'm assuming you mean you don't want the vaccine in regards to H1N1. They are combining them this year, so no. The only reason they didn't do that last year is because it was too late.

H1N1 is only a different strain of influenza.

Your risks of contracting H1N1 and getting sick are worse than having any sort of complication with the vaccine.

Source(s): nursing student
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. I had only the seasonal flu vaccine last year.

• Lak
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I'm not sure what you mean "by itself". Of course you can get it- as long as there are no medical reasons not to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.