Do you hate seeing children riding bikes without helmets?

If I see children riding bikes without helmets I think, what bad parents they must have. My fiance doesn't think a helmet is necessary. But, I obviously do. What do all of you parents think out there?

I've heard of kids running into mailboxs which caused severe head injuries. Just food for thought for those who keep saying around high traffic area they should be wearing helmets. I guess it would be a freak accident for a kid to run into a mailbox and suffer major damage. But, I guess I'm a parent who doesn't want to risk it. I live on a quiet street but, a nearby street is very busy. I believe a helmet should be required by law. I'm wondering if Ohio law requires a helmet to be worn by children. I see most children in my neighborhood wearing helmets though....so maybe it is law here too.

Best Answer

Well. There was a boy riding a bike (no helmet) down the hill where he lived, as another woman was turning onto the street, he could not slow down (this was a steep hill) he hit the side of her car door, head first, with such force she had to get a new door. It was bad, the 9 yr old boy died. I think it is VERY important to where a helmet.

This was in the "middle of nowhere" There was no traffic whatso ever!

Source(s): Boy killed near me

Aw heck, it's easy to Monday-morning-quarterback these things. I grew up riding my bike incessantly and never wore a helmet. I would have hated wearing one. I took some pretty bad spills once in a while, but I wound up with just bruises and cuts. Lucky, I guess. Just think of all the stupid things kids do. We've all danced with accidental death growing up; probably dozens of times. You can't protect everyone from everything.

But anyone whose life has been touched by a bike-related head injury will no doubt come down hard as a staunch advocate of mandatory helmet laws. I can certainly understand that. But I don't "hate" seeing children riding without helmets. I come from an era where that was considered normal; an acceptable risk.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here were I live it is the law. I remember the day the helmet law came into play... a person was struck in a bicycle lane by a driver who decided to go around the other cars on the right. I do believe helmets are necesary and never hesitate to tell someone to get a helmet on if I see them riding without one...the same for skateboards and scooters too. It is bad parenting if kids aren't wearing a helmet. Those parents would tell you that they provide one and tell their kdis to wear it but their kids don't wear it.. We tell our kids to wear them and they know that they must, if they don't they are banned from using their bike etc. They know when we say something we mean it.

I would not necessarily go as far as to say "What bad parents" but I do agree with you. It's against the law in the state I live in for a child to not wear a helmet up until the age of 12. And for good reason. It's the parents who shrug it off and don't care who will have to bite themselves and feel regretful for a lifetime if their child gets a life threatening head injury after accidentally falling from their bikes.

• A

We never wore helmets unless we were out in public riding.We also fell off our bikes several times and never once received a head injury.Perhaps it has something to do with avoiding falling on our heads.That being said, I am FOR helmets.Even though the helmet is a piece of crap that won't protect 100%, it will do something.I know someone who had a head injury (from something unrelated) and now has severe nerve damage.It's a pity to witness.

It depends on where the kid is riding. If they are riding down a busy road, then they should be wearing helmets. If they are riding around in their driveway, then I don't think helmets are necessary. My pet peave isn't that kids don't wear helmets, its that they wear them wrong! I see so many kids with the helmet pushed way back on their head and not coming their forehead at all.

I hardly ever wore a helmet as a kid and I hardly seen anyone wear one in the town I live in. My daughter refuses to wear a helmet (she's 7). I used to make her wear one when she was younger but now as long as she's just riding behind the house, I don't worry about it.

• Ruth

I used to ride a bike with out a helmet all the time. I was a young lad in Ireland and we never wore them a tall.

YES I definitely do not like when kids are not wearing helmets it is obviously really dangerous there is no doubt about that.

My friends sister fell off her bike and hit her head badly but she was okay because she was wearing a helmet but the helmet was cracked!

no i dont, my kids dont have helmets but they only really ride there bikes at the park, the reason why is because my kids fall off there bikes but they've never once fallen on there head its always there hands or knees.

It depends on where they are riding, I grew up in the country and when I fell I landed in grass, there was no concrete. My only problem with helmets in urban settings is I would worry that the helmet would reduce the child's field of vision and put the child in harms way as far as traffic.