Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 9 years ago

Is there a way to purposely shrink clothes?

I don't know what was wrong with me that day, but I bought 2 packs on knickers in size 16-18 and I'm an 8. I want to shrink them down cause they're actually like shorts at the moment.

Is there a way to, on hot wash or something? x

Update:

@Katiemw2010 Mine wer from Primark too... thats probably what I did! :) x

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I did that with a top in Primark, the hanger said 8 and the top was 16-18. I put it on a really hot wash on its own and then put it straight into the tumble dryer. It shrunk it down perfectly! However there are no guarantees that it will come out the way you want. Also my top was grey so i didn't notice any colour loss as it wasn't that bright to begin with. Check the label on the undies and it should tell you what you need to know about the colours running or not.

Primark can be a bit dodgy with the correct sizes as so many people are in and out of there every day.. the good thing is though it's great value for money!

Good luck and i hope it works out for you!

Hope this helps! Katie :)

• Jaime
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Shrinking clothes is a job for a tailor, not a washing machine. The only way to shrink clothes is to take them to a tailor and have them altered. Many dry cleaners also do alterations.

If you try to shrink the knickers by washing them in hot water and then drying the heck out of them, they'll just look old and worn out. They won't shrink much, and will shrink unpredictably. And they definitely will not shrink from a Size 16 to a Size 8.

Think about it...if you could shrink clothes just by washing and drying them, what would large people do? They could never wash their clothes because if they did, the clothes wouldn't fit anymore.

I would return the knickers for a refund or exchange.

-

• 9 years ago

If they are 100% cotton then they will shrink, but I don't think they will go down to an 8 from 16-18. All you can do is wash them in hot water with detergent and then put them in the dryer and hope for the best. Good luck!

• 9 years ago

the dryer usually shrinks clothes if they are 100% cotton

just wash them and put them in the dryer when they are wet

after a couple times in the dryer they should fit better

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lou
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

washing in hot water will just take out the color. to shrink you need to dry them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.