Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 10 years ago

Just Dumped Glass Of Vodka Down The Drain?

I am 6 months pregnant. and I have an alcohol addiction.every day is a struggle for me to not drink. I love my baby so much, and I really want to give this baby the best chance possible. when i found out I was pregnant I cut down a lot. during this whole pregnancy I have only been having maybe 1-2 glasses of wine a week. which my doctor said one glass would probably be ok. Tonight, I made myself a vodka drink, and I wanted to drink it so bad. I was so depressed tonight, and i wanted to feel better, and I just couldn't help it. but I didn't drink it. about 15 minutes ago I dumped it down the drain before taking a drink. before i was about to drink it the baby was kicking me a lot, and moving. and i feel so bad and so guilty. I can't do it. I can't hurt my baby. this stupid addiction. I hate it so much. I am very proud of myself for not drinking it.do you think my baby will be born ok. the last ultra sound I had the baby was doing very good, very healthy and growing well.

I'm working on getting help with my addiction.

Favorite Answer

I am so proud of you Sarah. You made a good decision to tip out that drink and I know it wasn't easy for you. The health of your child comes first and I know you are going to be the best mother ever when the dear wee bundle of love arrives into this world. I can really feel the love you have for this child when I read your words. Looking out for baby and yourself now is only the beginning, you have a whole lifetime to be there for that child and more after this one.

So I know its time now for you to seek some help with your drinking, its the mature thing to do and its hard going it alone. There are agencies to help with these addictions and from my experience they are well trained to help you. Nobody has to go it alone.

Do you think bubbies kicking when you were about to take that drink was a message from him/her?I certainly do.

You and that child are going to be the best of buddies for life, Good luck.

.

I'm glad to hear that you sacrificed the drink for your baby. You should feel proud for that. It could help to get some help with this addiction because the main thing is you can sacrifice during your pregnancy but once you have your baby and you want the alcohol again then that won't be good at all either.

You should find an all women AA meeting in your area. It sounds like you need the support. You can meet some great people in AA and women who have gone through the same struggles. Good for you for not drinking the vodka tonight. Being a mother is about sacrifice and putting the little one first. He doesn't deserve fetal alcohol syndrome. And when he's born, he doesn't deserve a drunk for a mom.

Source(s): 39 weeks pregnant and I also used to be an alchy until I found out! I really wish you the best (and me too...)

I suggest you get permanent help. It's almost as bad if you continue drinking after the baby is born, I mean, heavily. My mother drank everclear when she was pregnant with my sister. My sister is fine, but my mother still drinks every single day, and now my sisters arent in her custody anymore. Just try to ween yourself off the the addiction for good, you wont regret it.