Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 10 years ago

can a teen be admitted to a psych ward involuntarily for...?

I was wondering if a teen girl can be admitted to a psych ward (even if they don't want to go) for self abuse and suicidal thoughts/plans? (and possible OCD.)

*(and this question is for teens who have been admitted to one in the past) whats it like there? what happens to you and what do they do?

is it all separated by gender?

how long can they keep you? -because i know that if you are admitted involuntarily the doctors and nurses there can make you stay longer than they had originally planned on..

-do you usually have a roommate?

do they force you to take sleeping/antidepressant medications?

-- i just have A LOT of questions about this because i think my parents may have planned on sending me to one, and i want to know what goes on. .

- so if you could tell me about your experiences, or why you got sent to one or how long you stayed.. any information about this will probably help, i am just confused about the whole process. .

*thank you in advance.. and i am serious about this question so please don't just post rude/irrelevant comments. thank you.

and i am perscribed anti-depressants but i dont take them because im afraid that i will kindof become dependant on them to be happy and i really dont want it to be like that. manic depression/bipolar disorder runs through my mothers side of the family. so i have seen from that how much people can depend on those meds to be happy, and what happens to them when they arent taking them.

• Anne C
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I was caught doing some shady things on the web at school involving that and I was taken by the police to a local hospital for a few days. Well, it was about a week or so, and they keep you as long as they think you need it (which is about a week). Your parents cannot legally sign you out for any reason.

Yes, we're separated by gender, but sometimes we get to interact.

Yes, you usually have a roommate unless they deem you mentally unfit for one. We had 1 roomate per person.

In mine, they cut the wires from your bra and took away all jewelry or things deemed harmful. Yes, people actually tried to cut themselves with their bra wires. Innovative, no? It's all for 18-and-under, and adults are in a seperate building for safety. Theyre are kids as young as 11 there, but its mainly teens that OD (overdose), are accused of harming themselves (cutters), etc. If you say you're going to harm youselves, youre going there too.

They only make you take your meds when you have an actual prescription for them, and your assigned therapist will come in every-so-often to talk to you.

Since it's in a hospital, they take temperature, weight, blood pressure, etc. regularly.

You get all of your jewelry back.

You have the option to wear hospital gowns at night.

You get prepared meals (from the hospital, so you know its bland, but they have soda and dessert) you get to preorder.

You get one call a day (to your parents or boyfriend or whatever)

Your parents can bring you extra clothing, but no candy, since its deemed dangerous. My mom tried to bring me tiny mints once. Ahaha. xD

That's pretty much it.

Oh, and we have to do arts n crafts and games and watch movies and socialize in help groups with the boys and girls, where we introduce ourselves in a circle and such. The more you dont socialize and act outgoing (and normal) the longer you stay. They're always watching for you to get better, and if you don't seem to be getting better, you stay longer. The 11-year-old with us told us she'd stop eating, and the staff heard her, so they put her in a room to herself with a window so they could watch her to see if she'd do something dumb.

Okay, thats it.

*EDIT*

About Idontknow's answer, man that was an intense ward your friend went to. O_O There was only one boy who had to be restrained to a bed like that, and he was mentally disabled and unable to speak or think complex thoughts, but he did constantly try to bite and punch himself constantly. And he kept making faces at me. Ha. xD

Yes - you can be admitted if you pose an immediate threat to yourself or others. This is called a 5150. I was admitted last week and was held for just short of 3 days (the 5150 allows them to hold you for 72 hours). I actually loved it there and was sad to go home. They separate the rooms by gender but group therapy is all together. They do take away all paper clips, staples, mechanical pencils, and even clothing and bags that have strings; you can't even wear shoes that have laces.

Normally you just do group therapy all day, like collages and talking and stuff. Ruby2Shoes did a pretty good job describing a typical day.

It is NOT like in the movies. They will not, and cannot, force you to take any medications. They are usually very nice and so are the other teens who are there. Good luck!

Yes they can. Most definitely!

They seperate bedrooms by gender but have the open room for males and females.

They keep you usually 7-14 days depending on your situation or until your insurance runs out.

The rooms usuually have about 4-6 beds in each bedroom.

The do make you take medication. If you refuse they may give you a sedative. If you are too confrontational that will take away privilages and might seclude you from others in a small room.

I was hospitalized for depression and pychosis. I stayed for 14 day two separate time and 3 days for another. If you act like you really want to help yourself (even if you think nothing is wrong) and make them see your making progress right away then it will be a short stay. just tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, your parents can admit you, but if you are considered a harm to yourself (adult or child) you have to have a doctor sign you out.

I was admitted at 18 but was put into the "teen wing" because I was still in high school. It depends on which hospital you go to,so some of the things people are saying may not apply to the one you might be in. They aren't that bad, just kind of boring really. They don't keep you very long usually unless you are genuinely crazy (sry if that offends anyone).

Yes all of them are separated by gender for sleeping and bathrooms, but some keep them completely separate at all hours, but many let people mingle in the common rooms and therapy groups and meals.

They usually only keep you for 3 days to a week max for suicide/OD unless you show signs of hurting yourself while you are there.

Most places you will have a roommate due to lack of space, but some you don't

They do not force you to take any medications unless a doctor there feels you need them.

If you do go, it isn't horrible and they really can help you. A typical day goes something like this: They wake you up at a specific time (some let you sleep in on weekends) for meds, checks (blood pressure etc), and breakfast. You go see your doctor or go to group then hang out in a commons area doing crafts, watching t.v., playing games etc, eat lunch, do the therapy thing again, back to commons area, eat dinner, get your phone call, back to commons area, snack, meds and checks then bed.

Source(s): Been in one and volunteered at a few

Yes, your parents can do this. The mental health system has limited resources (and beds) though, so if you don't belong there, you won't be staying very long.

Now, I haven't been to a psychiatric ward myself but, am close with someone who did, as a teen, so I'll let you know from his experiences...heresay, but information at least. I'll let you know, your experience may be different. It often depends on the hospital and insurance coverage.

Is it seperated by gender? Sleeping wise, yes, otherwise, no. You'll probably interact with both men and women adults and teens.

How long can they keep you? As long as they like. Even if you are admitted voluntarily, actually. What happens is if they decide that you need to stay there, because you're a danger to yourself or others or so incapacitated that you can't make a decision like leaving on your own, that as soon as you try to leave you are sectioned and you're suddenly there as an involuntary patient. This can be appealed though. I suggest reading your local mental health act to help you find out what rights you have as a psychiatric patient and as a minor.

Do you have a room mate? It depends on what is covered by your insurance. You could be alone. You could have one or two or three or four room mates. It really depends on whether or not you have private, semi-private coverage.

Do they force you to take medications? You probably won't be physically forced to take medication, even if you're freaking out causing a nasty scene, you'll be asked if you want a shot to calm you down before you're put in restraints (yes, they can restrain you)...but that doesn't mean that you won't be strongly encouraged to take medication. You may be in there longer if you don't take your meds, you may be denied day passes, phone calls etc. if you don't take your medication, so just take it. If you're not sick enough to require medication, even if the short term, you don't need to be in a psychiatric hospital..

The person I know, spent 6 months due to major bipolar depression and suicide attempts.

if youre under 18 and your parents take you yes you can be admitted even if you dont want to, they will do an evaluation, if they decide to even keep you its usually like 48 hours, depends on how much of a threat you are to yourself. anyone wanting to die should really seek help.

Yes. Your parents or guardians can have you admitted wetter you want to go or not. They can keep you until the doctors determine that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else.

These facilities are not all the same.

• Birk

I might suggest you to visit this website where you can compare rates from different companies: http://INSURANCECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5Y...

RE :Can a teen be admitted to a psych ward involuntarily for...?

is it all separated by gender?

-do you usually have a roommate?

Update: and i am perscribed anti-depressants but i dont take them because im afraid that i will kindof become dependant on them to be happy and i really dont want it to be like that. manic depression/bipolar disorder runs through my mothers side of the family. so i have seen from that how much people can depend on those meds to be happy, and what happens to them when they arent taking them.

2 following 9 answers

Source(s): I might suggest you to visit this website where you can compare rates from different companies: http://INSURANCECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5Y...

1

Source(s): Mantain your Relationship Alive http://enle.info/SaveYourMarriage/?Qd2d